[Trainer-Talk] Hybrid Meetings Article

Raul A. Gallegos - RGA raul.gallegos at rgats.com
Thu Apr 13 15:58:47 UTC 2023

Hello Jan, thank you for this. Adding to this, here is what I do for our
Houston chapter, and what I have done for our state affiliate convention.

1. Use an audio mixer with an appropriate loud speaker and microphone
setup. This will make the in-person meeting happen with good audio. This
can easily work for a conference room that holds 20 people or 200
people. I specifically use a Mackie ProFX mixer and Phenix Pro wireless
microphones for all hybrid meetings. If the meeting is smaller, I use an
Alto loud speaker. If the meeting is larger, I use loud speakers from
ElectroVoice.

Links to equipment that I use are:

Mackie Mixer, https://mackie.com/en/products/mixers/profxv3-series

Phenix Pro Wireless Microphones,
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=phenyx+pro+ptu-7000a

Alto speakers, https://www.sweetwater.com/c134--PA_Speakers?highlight=TX310

ElectroVoice speakers,
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Electro-Voice/ZLX-12BT-12-Powered-Speaker-with-Bluetooth-Black-1500000251167.gc

2. Connect Zoom like normal, and have the Zoom input and output go
through the USB channel of the mixer. I specifically use Mackie ProFX
because of its USB interface. This means that I can connect people on
Zoom so they can be heard through the loud speaker just like the people
in person who are speaking into the microphone.

3. Have either a mic runner, or side microphones available for audience
questions. In case someone from the in-person participants needs to
speak or has a question, they will need to use one of the microphones so
not only can they be heard better, but so that people attending via Zoom
can also hear them. To facilitate this, it is necessary to either have a
person designated as a microphone runner to bring it to them, or to have
a microphone or two available in a designated area so that anyone
wishing to address the chapter can speak using it.

There is obviously a lot more to this, and this is a quick and dirty
method of how I do this, but I am willing to discuss this with anyone in
further detail if necessary. As for budget, if one goes with a solution
similar to what Curtis Chong discussed in his article, the cost should
be less than $200 to buy the conference phones. For smaller meetings,
and for small group tech training sessions, I use the Anker PowerConf
USB device, which makes Zoom sound absolutely wonderful. However, this
has the limitation that if your group is more than 8 or 9 people in
person, the conference phone solution will not be enough. If you go with
a mixer and loud speaker solution, the cost is much higher because you
have to purchase the mixer itself, usually at least $200, a loud
speaker, smaller ones are around $100 but larger ones are around $500,
enough microphones and accessories like cables, stands, ETC, and the
associated bags or containers to fit everything.

I hope this helps.

Raul Gallegos
Assistive Technology Trainer and Consultant
RGA Tech Solutions
Team Contact: 832-639-4477  |  training at rgats.com
Direct Email: Raul.Gallegos at rgats.com

“Technology is a useful servant but a dangerous master.” -- Christian Lous Lange