[Trainer-Talk] Comparison of Refreshable Braille Displays

Christopher Nusbaum cnusbaum at imagemd.org
Thu Sep 14 17:24:08 UTC 2023

Hi All:

Thank you all for your very useful feedback. It's clear that I have a lot to take into account as I make my decision. It's also unfortunate that my BrailleSense kicked the bucket after the national convention; while I was at the NFB national convention, I didn't spend much time looking at Braille displays because I wasn't in the market for one at the time. The extent of my exploration was checking out a friend's Mantis after hearing her and others give rave reviews of it, as many on this list have, and determining that I probably wouldn't like it because of its Qwerty keyboard. Perhaps, considering what has been said about it here, I shouldn't have discounted it so soon.

>From the feedback I've gotten here and in a Facebook group for users of Braille displays, I'm leaning at this point toward either the Mantis or the Brailliant BI40. From a personal perspective, the Brailliant offers the advantage of allowing me to use every day the same device that many of our school-aged students are using. Does anyone have experience with or knowledge of both and can offer a side-by-side comparison? Ideally, I'd like to get my hands on both, but I may not be able to do that until the NFB of Maryland state convention, if both are being exhibited.

Finally, Scott, I haven't seen your comparison article, but I would be interested in reading it. And Nimer, I haven't heard of any of the displays you mention, but they seem interesting enough that they would be worth playing with if I can get my hands on them. I will also agree with you about the noise of the BrailleSense's keys. When I first got a U2, one of my favorite things about it was the quietness of the keys in comparison to the BN Apex. Unfortunately, that characteristic didn't stick around in more recent models.

Thanks again!

Chris