[Trainer-Talk] Purchasing Office For Another Person?

portillo.jim at gmail.com portillo.jim at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 15:55:19 UTC 2024

Good morning,

I'm reaching out to all of my  resources right now, because I have a
question for which I simply can't find a good solution.

I was hoping to be able to buy a version of Microsoft 365 Family for a
friend as a gift. In the past, I used to be able to do this, either from the
Microsoft store or from Amazon. I would get a key emailed to me, and I could
give that key to my friend and he would install Office on his computer, and
it would go on his Microsoft Account. Mine wouldn't be affected.

I can no longer seem to do this. When I try through the Microsoft store, I
sign in with my account and it wants to link the purchase to my account.
When I went to try on Amazon, the digital order wanted to tie it to my
account as well and didn't give me any choice to redeem a key or transfer or
give it to someone else.

Both Google and Microsoft told me that I could go through a third party,
such as BestBuy or Amazon, and that is what happened when I went through
Amazon.

This used to be very easy, but I wonder if now that more software like this
is subscription based, things have changed.

I don't want to give him the standalone version of the software, because he
and his wife use the MS 365 family and have their own OneDrive accounts and
such.

Does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions I haven't tried? If not,
then I won't go down this path any further in trying to purchase Office for
someone else, because it will tie into my account.

Jim