[Trainer-Talk] insurance for trainers

Christopher Nusbaum cnusbaum at imagemd.org
Wed Jan 31 19:14:33 UTC 2024

Hi Chris:

When I started my other gig (tech training for students as an independent contractor both through my own business and through Allied Instructional Services), AIS advised me to purchase liability insurance, as they do all their contractors. I got a recommendation from a family friend who used to work in the insurance business locally and recommended an insurance agent. After explaining my situation and what I wanted to do, she gave me a quote for $350 and took it from there. From my experience, it's important to be upfront with the agent—if this is true for you as it was for me, tell the agent that it's your first time doing something like this and you'll need their guidance. Also, if you're contracting with a company like AIS, it might be good to send the proposed quote to their HR manager to make sure it matches their requirements. Either way you go, find somebody who knows more about it than you do and consult with them before spending an amount of money you think is too much. In this case, I think you're correct; $1000 does seem steep, particularly when I got the same insurance for $350.

Hope this helps!
Chris Nusbaum
The IMAGE Center for People with Disabilities
(410) 803-6087
cnusbaum at imagemd.org