[Travelandtourism] Travel Q & A.

Reese reese at shilohstravel.com
Tue Aug 25 14:58:55 UTC 2009

Here's another good reason to book with a travel agent.

Reese

Q. I booked a flight only a few weeks ago thinking that prices would soon
being going up. I'm bringing my boyfriend home with me to Ireland to
introduce him to my family for the first time and we wanted to get a good
deal for an expensive trip in hard times.

We paid $460 per ticket on Delta.

Well, I just searched on Delta again and saw that the exact same flight is
now costing $305 total per ticket!! That's insane!!

How are they allowed to charge you one price one week and not reimburse you
for the price difference? If I bought an item in a store before a sale I
would be entitled to return it for whatever reason and then if I so chose,
could buy it at the reduced sale price. How come airlines don't allow this?

Could I ask for a refund and repurchase the flights at the reduced cost
saving a whopping load of bucks?

A. Some airlines, like Delta, will issue vouchers for the difference in fare
if there is a price drop, but there is a catch... the dreaded change fee.
In your case, the change fees are a whopping $200 each for an international
fare.  So much for your "refund."

Maybe book with United for your international travel next time. They will
issue a price drop refund voucher for the full value without deducting a
"service fee". Southwest, Alaska, and JetBlue also issue refund vouchers for
the full fare drop amount.

Shiloh's Travel
http://www.shilohstravel.com
http://www.twitter.com/shilohstravel