[Travelandtourism] DJ Packs and Overhead Storage Bins

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 1 17:59:40 UTC 2009

Good afternoon everyone,

    I'd like to know if any of you have been able to fit a DJ pack in the
over-head rack on a plane? This is an extra large backpack with many
compartments to store and transport recording and broadcast gear. I was
hoping to transport my laptop, mixer and everything else in the DJ Pack to
avoid any of this stuff having to be carried in the hold. I've tried to
avoid using the outside compartments to keep it down to size but even that
doesn't seem to make it possible to transport it in the
overhead rack in the cabin. Otherwise I'll transport my laptop in a smaller
backpack I've stored in the overhead rack for years when flying and check
the DJ pack through to Detroit along with a pare of speakers and a
microphone stand. Some innovative packing, (Rapping the mixer up in a sweat
coat for example to protect it)  should allow me to keep the number of
checked bags down to avoid being taken to the bank by Southwest Airlines.
    This isn't the first time I've transported recording equipment across
the country by air. Back in 1980 I did this using a large security trunk and
a rifle case in which the shaft of the microphone stand was transported.
It's great to know that today far more sophisticated equipment can travel in
a far less truncated manner. I'm looking forward to "Gunning" for
high-quality recordings of these convention activities. Any packing tips to
permit the DJ pack to fly in the overhead bin would be very much
appreciated. See you all in Detroit.

Peter Donahue

"Will you come and awake our lost land from its slumber
      And her fetters we'll break, links that long are encumbered.
      And the air will resound with hosannas to greet you
      On the shore will be found gallant Irishmen to greet you."
Will You Come to the Bower
Traditional Irish Folk Song