[Travelandtourism] Amtrak

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Fri Apr 23 01:20:11 UTC 2010

Deanna,

I've traveled on Amtrak quite a bit.  I've never taken my guide dog on the
train though.  there is no place to relieve the dog on the train.  Space is
at a premium, everything is optimized for efficient use of space.  Typically
the train stops for short pick up/drop off of passengers every hour or so.
Less frequently there are longer stops when they dump trash, restock
supplies, and so the smokers can do their thing.  You can get off the train
at any of these stops, but they won't wait for you if you aren't back on the
train when the whistle blows.  If your dog is a quick reliever in strange
places it shouldn't be a problem.

My experiences actually on the train have been very good.  My experiences
waiting in the train station for trains that are delayed hours and hours and
hours were not so great.

HTH
Julie