[Travelandtourism] If you want to become a travel agent

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 2 16:48:47 UTC 2010

Well Robyn:

Thank you very much for pointing all of  this out.

I am a real travel agent, and am going to school and taking courses through CLIA, IATA, and the Travel University, I am a travel agent who is certified, and have my CLIA Card, but starting out, as a CLIA Card Holder you should also be AC with them which includes onboard inspections of the Cruises as well as Walk Troughs.

And all of the training can be done online, though CLIA, IATA, and the Travel University.

Also, even though I am affiliated with Montrose Travel and so is a few others, I advertise on my own, and I also have to pay for my own domain, which is Echevarriatravel.com not Montrose's they host it, and am in the process of building my own website, you also have to have E&O Errors and Omission Insurance as well as paying taxes.

Montrose travel is one of the best, the rank triple A with the Better Business Bureau, but I have also 20+ years in an office, especially sales, as well as a legal background as a legal secretary.  Plus it does have to be certified in the products you are selling, knowing the city codes, your geography, and what your client likes and dislikes.

Yes I agree there are many host agencies that are not good that is why I went and checked them all out.  And I once I have all the training I can get I am applying for grants and loans and the Commission for the Blind if you are not familiar with them does have a matching grant, that they will match up to $15,000.00 for your business, so just because of is an independent doesn't mean that we are not travel agents, more and more people are working online and from the home only because the rents for brick and mortar business are expensive, and I am able to write off on my taxes my expenses that I put into it.

And once I have more money I will be on my own, but in the meantime, I am also educating the sighted to work with the Blind in fact for those who don't know Marion Gwizdala who is the President of NAGDU, and I will be holding a webinar training seminar for all the Montrose travel agents on Feb 25.

Montrose has been in business for over 50+ years as a travel agency in Montrose, California, which now has included the home based market place.
Happy New Year!

Cheryl Echevarria
Independent Contractor
www.Echevarriatravel.com<http://www.echevarriatravel.com/>