[Travelandtourism] Reduced Fleets: Rental Cars vs. Airplanes

Peachtree Travel info at peachtreetravel.net
Wed Jul 21 20:26:26 UTC 2010

And now here's today's Q & A.

Reduced Fleets: Rental Cars vs. Airplanes

Q. I'm about to take my first business trip to Phoenix and need to rent a
car. I'm accustomed to prices for a medium-sized car in the $18-$22 per day
range for most of the locations I travel. Needless to say, I was dumbfounded
when I looked today and prices were more than double that.  Why are prices
so high in Phoenix?

A. It's because rental car companies have reduced their fleets and they can
charge more for their product. But that brings up the question: why have
airlines not been able to jack up fares the same way? the difference is that
renters are a captive audience. Consumers can decide to stay home, but once
they decide to fly somewhere, unless they want to take the public bus or
have a friend who will loan them a car while they're visiting, they have no
choice but to rent. The rental car companies have the upper hand.

Maurice

We know that you have a choice in choosing a Travel Partner and truly
appreciate that you have selected Peachtree Travel.

Independent Travel Consultant
http://www.Peachtreetravel.net
(phone) 888-389-2723
(fax) 888-563-4698