[Travelandtourism] Wait a Minute, Aren't Award Tickets Supposed to be Free?

Peachtree Travel info at peachtreetravel.net
Thu Jul 22 19:40:49 UTC 2010

Travel Q&A

Q. I just received an email stating that Delta Airlines no longer charges a
fee for cashing in frequent flyer miles. I wasn't aware that Delta even
charged for this service. Aren't frequent flyer tickets free? And do other
airlines charge?

A. Actually, Delta recently announced that it would no longer charge for
"last minute" requests for frequent flyer tickets. Previously, it charged
most members of its frequent flyer program (except "elite" members) a hefty
fee if they requested seats 20 or fewer days before travel. United also used
to charge for this, but no longer does. Unfortunately, many other airlines
do charge between $50 and $100 for "close-in ticketing" of award travel, but
we expect that now that since Delta and United no longer do other airlines
will follow suit. US Airways currently charges up to $50 to issue an award
ticket, whether "last minute" or not; and many airlines now charge co-pay
fees to upgrade from economy to business or first class, in addition to
miles.

Maurice

We know that you have a choice in choosing a Travel Partner and truly
appreciate that you have selected Peachtree Travel.

Independent Travel Consultant
http://www.Peachtreetravel.net
(phone) 888-389-2723
(fax) 888-563-4698