[Travelandtourism] Battleship Missouri welcomes 4 millionth visitor

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 14 12:32:13 UTC 2010

By: Shane Nelson
June 14, 2010
Three months after a thorough refurbishment in dry dock, the Battleship
Missouri welcomed its 4 millionth visitor since first opening as a
historical attraction and floating memorial in 1999.

Battleship Missouri officials surprised Rachel Chmiel of Atlanta with the
news shortly after she stepped aboard the vessel on June 4.

"My father was in the Navy, so this will have a lot of significance for
him," Chmiel said, adding that he served aboard the USS Chikaskia. "We did
some snorkeling and other things while in Hawaii but wanted to see Pearl
Harbor before we left."

The Battleship Missouri Memorial left dry dock and returned to Pearl
Harbor's Battleship Row on Jan. 7 after $18 million worth of general
maintenance.

Jan. 29 marked the 66th anniversary of the Mighty Mo's inaugural voyage in
1944. The USS Missouri is a veteran of three wars and served as the site of
Japan's surrender to the Allied forces in 1945

Cheryl Echevarria
Independent Travel Consultant
C10-10646

http://Echevarriatravel.com