[Travelandtourism] Governor announces protection for Oahu shorelines

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 20 11:01:59 UTC 2010

I am sure there is, the president of my chapter David Stayer has
water-skied, and rock climbed, we have our co-Commissioner of the Department
of the Blind and Visually Handicapped, kayak the Hudson River here in NY,
and also from England to France, Mr. Peter Crowley.

yes there is here is the link for it.

http://www.surfingcal.com/the-blind-surf-event.html

Here is also the video, on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwvG1hNqlsM

And here is the story.

Sight-Impaired Surfers Hit the Beach
Event introduces the magic of surfing to the blind

CARLSBAD- On Sunday, Sept. 14, a surfing event for the sight impaired will
be held at south Ponto state beach in Carlsbad from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Photo
opportunities will be taking place between 9 and noon.)

This is the thirteenth year that sight impaired teens and adults from all
areas of San Diego have been invited to hit the waves under the super vision
of expert surfers. The Swamis Surfing Association, the Encinitas Lions club,
and the San Diego surfing Academy sponsor the non-profit event.

"This has been an incredible experience, for both the sight-impaired
individuals and the surfers who volunteering," said Larry Graff, cofounder
of the event.

Bruce King of the Swamis Surfing Association, the other co-founder said "Its
just a joy to see the look on their faces. As surfers we enjoy sharing our
love for the sport, the ocean and living each moment .like riding a wave."

Here is how it works: the individuals are outfitted with life vests, and
then taken into the water along with 5 experienced surfers. We help the
surfer lie on the board, only going about waist deep, and then push them
into a wave. When the individual rides the wave towards the shore, there is
a safety team lining the water around them at all time.

Graff says, "Above all, this experience proves that just because you are
disabled doesn't mean you are not able to do many great things, and we are
proud to promote that through this event."
This is an invitation only event, highly worth the print and television
coverage as it occurs. The best time to record the event is 10:00 am.

Cheryl Echevarria
Independent Travel Consultant
C10-10646

http://Echevarriatravel.com