[Travelandtourism] Wisconsin smoking ban forbids smoking in every hotel room:

Peachtree Travel info at peachtreetravel.net
Thu Sep 2 23:30:46 UTC 2010

Unlike most other non-smoking states, Wisconsin in July passed a statewide
smoking ban that bans smoking in every hotel guestroom.

In most states that have banned smoking in public places, such as Kansas,
the legislation allows hoteliers to exempt a certain percentage of
guestrooms.

But in Wisconsin, "there can be zero rooms" that allow smoking in sleeping
rooms, Trisha Pugal, CEO of Wisconsin Hotel and Lodging Association told me
in an interview.

And the new law is causing "a major culture change" for hoteliers and guests
alike.

Wisconsin is the second state in the USA after Michigan to pass anti-smoking
legislation that doesn't exempt hotels, she said. The hotel association
didn't exactly embrace the legislation. In fact, the group lobbied to let
hotels retain a certain percentage of smoking rooms, but the proposal was
shot down.

Today, hoteliers say their biggest challenge with the smoking ban is
convincing guests that it truly is the law - and that there are real
consequences if they smoke in their room, according to Pugal.

"People tend not to believe," she says. "We even created a signage guide for
lodging properties to help educate the guest. In the hospitality industry,
you don't want to appear inhospitable."

Wisconsin's roughly 2,000 hotels post signs declaring their building a
non-smoking facility. They're also requiring guests to initial a statement
promising to comply or face paying a fee. Hotels are charging penalty fees
anywhere from $100 to $300, she said.

"Unfortunately, there are people choosing to smoke anyway, even with all the
signage and initialing things saying they know there will be a penalty,"
Pugal told me.

Hotel staffers don't always know that a person smoked until a housekeeper
gets into the room to clean it, sometimes creating "a logistical nightmare"
for the hotel if someone is waiting for the same room that then must be
cleaned thoroughly, she said.

Smoking guests who flout the law, however, aren't getting away with it.
Hotels are charging the fee, in hopes that it will deter people from smoking
the next time.

Whether the smoking ban is costing hotels business isn't yet clear. Pugal
just yesterday sent member hotels a survey to see how the ban may be
affecting their business.

Smokers: Have you ever paid a fine to your hotel for smoking? Non-smokers:
Have you ever been given a non-smoking room in which you've detected smoke?

Maurice

We know that you have a choice in choosing a Travel Partner and truly
appreciate that you have selected Peachtree Travel.

Independent Travel Consultant
http://www.Peachtreetravel.net
(phone) 888-389-2723
(fax) 888-563-4698