[Travelandtourism] Operator Listing Now Accessible

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Wed Aug 31 16:46:49 UTC 2011

Good morning everyone,

        As a little background socialflights.com is a service which helps
groups of individuals flying between the same destinations to do so on
private air charter services. This is a concept I'm sure we'll be hearing
more about in the future as this concept catch on and more air charter
operators participate. Who knows. Perhaps in the not too distant future
whole chapters or even state affiliates could be traveling too and from
local, state, and national events on private jets rather than the airlines.

    They have a number of air charter operators around the country
participating in this program. Recently a list of these operators was posted
to their blog in .png format. These files are graphic files unreadable with
screen readers. I contacted them concerning this situation and suggested
that they post a listing of their operators as a standard Web page rather
than as a graphics file. I also told then about the NFB and our Non-Visual
Web Accessibility Initiative and gave them contact information for the
International Braille and Technology Center. Last night I was pleased to
discover that their operator list is now accessible to screen readers as are
the Web sites of the operators listed.

    So far as I know it took only one of us to raise this concern with them
and they took prompt action to correct this situation to insure that this
part of their Web site is accessible to the blind and other passengers with
disabilities. Now if only the airlines would be as intelligent and work with
us to insure that their Web sites and airport kiosks are fully accessible to
blind passengers. Madam President I believe this is what this division and
the NFB are all about. Here is some of the correspondence between myself and
the COO of www.socialflights.com