[Travelandtourism] Day 2 in Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Theme Park

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 7 12:28:28 UTC 2011

Day 2 in Walt Disney World.

I will be discussing the Dining Plan, shows and Animal Kingdom Theme Park.

First the Dining Plan (which is optional)  There are a few different dining
plans to choose from and this you can discuss with the person making your
Disney Reservations, this is only good with Walt Disney World.  Disneyland
in California has different options. I do sell it as well but have yet to go
to California.

Basically this in an add on to your vacation package, tomorrow I will be
discussing theme park ticket options as well.

Certain times of the year during off season (January - September)that they
offer free dining; but I have seen it extended. It is not offered during the
holidays, so check with travel partner on black out dates if they apply.

Also with the sit down dining, it is highly advised to make the reservations
at your restaurants 180 days prior to arrival. I learned my lesson this
trip, yes even us travel agents don't do as suggested.  I had made 3
reservations, but the rest, we couldn't find anything one night to eat, we
were in one park, and had to travel to another just to eat dinner, this
could take time to go from one park to another depending on which theme park
you are at, we almost missed one of the night shows we wanted to see because
of it.

Also, I highly recommend that if you do want one of the packages with sit
down dining option in it. Do not get the DELUXE Dining, it is way to much
food, and you can do a lunch with a snack. There are way more options with
snacks besides what is listed here.

Kids under 3 are free to eat.

Here are the different options:

Each package includes Magic Your Way:

2011 Magic Your Way Package
Everyone in the room must be on the same package and ticket options. All
tickets must be used within 14 days of first use, unless the No Expiration
Option is purchased.

The base Magic Your Way package includes: (FYI, we didn't have time to use
any of these vouchers, they are nice to have if you are staying longer, or
if you have been to the parks, or not want to spend all day at the parks)

--Accommodations at a Disney Resort
--Magic Your Way Base Admissions Ticket (with the option to add on Park
Hopper, Water Park Fun and More, or No Expiration options at an additional
fee): Choose the number of days of your Magic Your Way Base Ticket, which
provides admission to one of the four Walt Disney World Theme Parks each
day. You pick the number of days (purchase 1 to 10) so you get exactly what
you want. The more days you add to the ticket, the less you pay per day.
-- Commemorative Luggage Tag (one per person)
-- Marina Discounts: 15% off the regular price of select boat rentals at
participating Walt Disney World marina locations.
-- Miniature Golf certificate valid for one round of Miniature Golf per room
at either Disney's Fantasia Gardens or Disney's Winter Summerland Miniature
Golf Courses.
-- arcade card valid for 100 game play points at resort arcades (1 per room)
-- Planet Hollywood $15 USD Meal Voucher and Souvenir Keepsake Valid for $15
USD worth of food and non-alcoholic beverages and a souvenir merchandise
keepsake at Planet Hollywood Downtown Disney West Side. (Not valid with any
other offers or discounts. One voucher per room. One keepsake per room.
Voucher required for keepsake.)
-- Children's Activity Centers Discount 15% off the regular hourly rates at
the Children's Activity Center located at select Disney Resort hotels.
Minimum charge of 2 hours per child. Services available for children ages
3-12.
-- Niki Bryan Spa Discount -- 15% off the regular price of most services of
50 minutes or more at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa or Disney's
Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa. (Hand and foot treatments are excluded. Age
restrictions apply.)
-- Bass Fishing Discount -- 15% off the regular price of Guided Bass Fishing
Excursions and Bass Nitro Fishing Excursions at select Walt Disney World
marinas. Excursions include fishing equipment, rod, reel, shiners,
artificial bait, non-alcoholic beverages and a 1-year membership to B.A.S.S.
(Bass Anglers Sportsman Society).
-- 10% off the regular price of all activities including parasailing, water
skiing, wakeboarding and tubing trips at Sammy Duvall's Water Sports Center
located at Disney's Contemporary Resort. (Subject to availability;
restrictions apply.)

First one is the Quick Service Plan

offers an easy and affordable way to experience a wide variety of
participating Disney restaurants. The package includes everything in the
2011 Magic Your Way Base package described above plus a Quick Service Dining
Plan that offers the following:-- 2 Quick Service Meals per person per
night: One Entree OR one complete Combo meal, dessert (lunch/dinner) or One
juice (breakfast) & One single non-alcoholic beverage

-- 2 Snacks per person per night: Choose from items such as 1 frozen ice
cream novelty, popsicle, fruit bar, popcorn scoop (single-serving box),
single-serving bag of snacks, single piece of whole fruit, 20-oz. bottle of
Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite or Dasani water, 22-oz. fountain soft drink, 12-oz.
coffee, hot chocolate or hot tea, single-serving prepackaged milk or juice

-- One refillable drink mug per person. The Quick Service Dining Plan
prices: Adults $34.99 per person per night; children 3-9 $11.99 per person
per night

Everyone in the room must be on the same package and ticket options. All
tickets must be used within 14 days of first use, unless the No Expiration
Option is purchased. All dining credits must be used by midnight the last
day of your stay, otherwise they expire.

Second one is the Plus Dining Plan (we used this one)

Walt Disney World is offering the option of purchasing a Dining Plan when
you buy a vacation package.

Everyone in the room must be on the same package and ticket options. All
tickets must be used within 14 days of first use, unless the No Expiration
Option is purchased. All dining credits must be used by midnight the last
day of your stay, otherwise they expire.

With the basic Disney Dining Plan: Choose to eat at more than 100
participating Disney restaurants. For each night of your package stay, each
person in your party will get:

--One table-service meal including entree and dessert (lunch or dinner only)
and 1 non-alcoholic beverage, or full buffet. 1 child table-service meal
includes 1 appetizer, 1 entree, 1 dessert (lunch or dinner only) and 1
single serving non-alcoholic beverage, or 1 full buffet.

--One counter service (quick service) meal (including entree/combo meal),
dessert, and non-alcoholic beverage; dessert not available at breakfast

--One snack (e.g. a frozen ice-cream novelty, popsicle, or fruit bar,
popcorn scoop, single piece of whole fruit, single serving grab bag of
chips, 20 oz. bottle of Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite or Dasani Water, medium
fountain soft drink or juice, 12 oz. coffee, hot chocolate, or hot tea.)

(Note that children age 3-9 must choose from a children's menu, if one is
available.)

NOTE: Gratuity is not included unless otherwise indicated. An 18 percent
gratuity will be added automatically for parties of 6 or more; a gratuity
may also be added for items not included in the Dining Plan, such as
alcoholic beverages.

Third is the DELUXE Dining Plan

Walt Disney World is offering the option of purchasing a DELUXE Dining Plan
when you buy a vacation package.

Everyone in the room must be on the same package and ticket options. All
tickets must be used within 14 days of first use, unless the No Expiration
Option is purchased. All dining credits must be used by midnight the last
day of your stay, otherwise they expire.

Deluxe Dining Plan prices: Adults $78.99 per person per night; children 3-9
$21.99 per person per night

With the DELUXE Dining Plan: Dine at more than 100 select table-service,
quick-service, Disney Character Dining and Signature Dining Experience
restaurant locations throughout Walt Disney World Resort. The Deluxe Dining
Plan is similar to the Basic Plan except that for each night of your
package, each guest in your party enjoys:

-- THREE MEALS -- Choose from select Walt Disney World Resort table-service
and quick-service restaurants for all 3 of your meals.

-- 1 adult table-service meal includes 1 appetizer, 1 entree and 1 dessert
(lunch or dinner only), and 1 single serving non-alcoholic beverage, or 1
full buffet. 1 child table-service meal includes 1 appetizer, 1 entrée, 1
dessert (lunch or dinner only) and 1 single serving non-alcoholic beverage,
or 1 full buffet.

-- 1 quick-service meal includes 1 entree or 1 complete Combo Meal, 1
dessert (lunch or dinner only) and 1 single serving non-alcoholic beverage.

Children ages 3-9 are limited to the Children's Menu (if one is available).

-- TWO SNACKS -- e.g. 1 frozen ice cream novelty, popsicle, fruit bar,
popcorn scoop (single-serving box), single-serving bag of snacks, single
piece of whole fruit, 20-oz. bottle of Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite or Dasani
water, 22-oz. fountain soft drink, 12-oz. coffee, hot chocolate or hot tea,
single-serving prepackaged milk or juice

-- ONE Resort refillable-drink mug per person -- The Disney Deluxe Dining
Plan also includes a refillable Resort mug for each Guest. Bring your Resort
mug to any quick-service restaurant at your Resort hotel and refill it as
often as you like!

We had breakfast at our resort using our quick service option, there were a
few option in the food court.  What you get with a quick service meal
example: I had Mickey Mouse Waffles (awesome good), TEA, and Fruit.
Daughter had same thing but water, and took the water with us to the park.
(If you can, keep the bottle with you and refill it and keep it in the
backpack I recommended yesterday, you will thank me later).

We then walked over to our bus stop and waited for the Animal Kingdom Bus.
In the morning they come every 5 minutes.  We got there before the park
opened.

The further from the Theme Park you are staying (accept for Animal Kingdom
Lodge) the less expensive the resort stay.  The Caribbean Beach Resort we
were staying at is a Moderate Resort and it was about a 10 - 15 minute bus
ride to Animal Kingdom.  Our resorts was closer to EPCOT and Downtown
Disney, which means it was a 5 minute ride, and we couldn't walk to the
park, just to far of a walk at least for me.

Animal Kingdom is wonderful - When you first walk in, like all the other
theme parks there is one ICON in Animal Kingdom it is the TREE OF LIFE, it
is not a real tree, and it is carved with every animal you can think of in
it trunk. It stands at 145-foot tall, 20 artists carved into the trunk,
branches and roots over 320 animals. Thousands worked on the construction of
the Tree of Life which took 18 months to build. It is located in the Oasis
part of the park. Following the tree around, you will find one of those
photo pass people, definitely take a picture of that, it is a must do. Also
it has a 3-D Show in it, even if you cannot see it is well worth it and it
is not just for kids. It is called It's Tough to Be a Bug.  From the Disney
Move A Bug's Life.

We made our way to my daughter's favorite ride which is Expedition Everest,
which is a roller coaster that first goes forward through the mountains of
the Himalayas in search of the Yeti. If you do not like roller coasters, you
can walk through with your friends through there decorated lines, all the
rides are fully designed with the theme they are trying to explain. For more
information on rides and such. Go to Allears.net and look for theme parks
and attractions.

I took photos and videos or at least tried while daughter was on the rides.
Also on the Roller Coasters, they take a picture of you at the end of the
ride, like when you met the Yeti and scream or whatever, you can purchase
the photo at the end of the rides. We did this in 2009. Or if you have
someone with you who can see well enough to take pictures, at the end of the
ride where I was waiting, there is an area on the wall where you picture is
on a monitor and just take a picture of that picture.

We went off to Dinoland after that, another part of the park, a lot of
walking in Disney remember those good walking shoes, but it wasn't hot and
comfortable, we took our time, no rushing. But for those who have never been
to Disney yet, Animal Kingdom is not opened in the evening, they close at
6pm, they bring back all the animals in to feed and to make sure all are
well, etc. They have a wonderful program there and it is very under rated
that park, we saw way more stuff then we did in 2009.

Dinoland has a ride called the Dinosaur - please go and read the description
at allears.net. Not a roller coaster, but moves and jerks very fast.

Then we took pictures with Santa Goofy and Pluto, we were in Heaven, we love
the characters.  From there we walk around had pizza for lunch, and then off
to Camp Mickey. We got photos with Mickey, Minnie, Donald Duck, Chip and
Dale. From the Jungle Book movie we got King Louie and Baloo.

And then we saw the Lion King Show.  Oh My God, what a show, it is like the
Broadway Show production, not like the movie, yes they had Simba, Pumba,
Timon and all the rest, but they have the Africa dancers, and people dressed
up in stilts, and oh my. You can record this show with your camera but you
cannot take flash photography.

Acrobats, dancing, and so much more. It was nice!  It was 30 minutes, and it
gives you an idea of what the Broadway Production or traveling tour is like.

After this we went to find a place to sit for the Jingle Jungle Parade. Each
Park has a Parade every day accept for EPCOT.

It was very nice. Had all the characters of course, but African style
floats, huge things, but so wonderful.

Was about 10 Minutes, all of the parades and show are well worth them.

We walked and saw the different animals. There was an area where they had
the American Crocodile which was in Dinoland, which is the closest thing on
earth to a Dinosaur, it was funny we were watching him lying there in the
water, and we were being silly and talking to it, then it turned around and
slowly slithered over to where my daughter was, no fear not anywhere he
could hurt her of course.

Our final ride before the park closed, and I suggest doing this, because
this is right before the animal go in for the night is the Disney's
Kilimanjaro Safari

Lions and Tigers and Bears, OH MY! Feel transported half way around the
world to a 100 acre African savannah as you board Disney's Kilimanjaro
Safari jeeps! Oh, and you won't see any tigers or bears, but if you're
lucky, you will see the lions! When we were there in the Hot Summer of 2009,
we didn't see much of the animals, but this time, we saw all of them.
HIPPOS, Lions, Zebras, Cheetahs, Alligators, Elephants, Giraffes and no they
are not pended up, they are far enough away not to hurt you, but the
Giraffes come up to your jeep, or Sable Antelope, Thomson Gazelle or
Ostriches come to the Jeep as well.

We enjoyed that.

Off again we were for the evening.

We took the bus to Downtown Disney and ate Dinner at Cap' n Jacks' it is a
seafood restaurant. They also have shopping and night clubs in the evening
for the adults, not adult clubs. Like House of Blues, they also have
Wolfgang Puck's Restaurant there was well. Yes these restaurants are on the
Disney Dining Plan.

Well I think is was enough for today. Very long I know.  Tomorrow a day at
Walt Disney

reservations at echevarriatravel.com

For daily updates read our blog at
http://www.echevarriatravel.wordpress.com