[Travelandtourism] Travel Troubleshooter: Help! I've Got Two Airline Tickets in the Same Name

Peachtree Travel info at peachtreetravel.net
Wed Jun 1 14:50:34 UTC 2011

Beth Anderson accidentally books two tickets under her name to fly from
Chicago to Panama City, Fla. Is her 16-year-old son, for whom she should
have bought the second ticket, stuck without a ticket? Both her airline and
agency say "yes."

Q: Please help a mom who is an inexperienced traveler. I recently booked
three tickets to fly from Chicago to Panama City, Fla., for my two sons and
me, through Bookit.com (www.bookit.com), an online travel agency. Somehow,
my name has been listed twice instead of my 16-year-old son's name.

At first I thought it was because he was a minor. But then I called
Bookit.com and they said this was not the case and that my youngest son
could not travel on a ticket that had my name on it.

I have called the airline, Delta Air Lines (www.delta.com), and the online
agency to try to resolve this, without any success. Delta says Federal
Aviation Administration regulations prevents them from changing the name but
they say Bookit.com should be able to do it. Bookit.com says Delta is
refusing to change the name. Any suggestions or advice would be welcome and
appreciated. -- Beth Anderson, Tinley Park, Ill.

A: You would think that an online agency would have safeguards to prevent
someone from booking two tickets on the same flight under the same name. Or
at the very least, the agency or airline would see this obvious mistake, and
fix it without citing a nonexistent law.

There's no FAA rule that I'm aware of that prevents an airline from changing
the name on a ticket. In fact, some airlines will change the name on a
ticket (for a fee) and if there were a federal law, they'd all be locked up
by now.

Why do airlines, and for that matter online agencies, balk at changing the
name on your ticket? It's probably money. They'd rather charge you for a new
ticket, even if you made an honest mistake.

If you're an inexperienced traveler, maybe you would have been more
comfortable booking your flights through a travel agent instead of online.
It's true, tickets bought through an agency are subject to a booking fee,
and it's also true that many traditional agents won't bother with a simple
airline ticket booking (too much hassle and not enough money) but a
competent travel adviser who sees this as the beginning of a long-term
relationship would be happy to help.

You inadvertently booked two tickets under the same name, which was your
mistake. I think your online agency and airline should have been more
understanding. As it turns out, you tried to resolve this by calling both
companies. While that may seem like the quickest way to resolve the matter,
it isn't. Calls aren't always logged accurately, and without a case number,
you'll end up explaining yourself to a representative over and over.

Next time, put your grievance in writing or better book through a travel
agency. I suggested that you send a brief, polite e-mail to Delta, asking it
to help. You contacted the airline, and it changed the name on your ticket
at no charge.

Peachtree Travel
Independent Travel Consultant

(phone) 888-389-2723