[Travelandtourism] New Event in NY City since August 2011, Fellow NFB Member of New York City involved as a Guide

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 14 15:47:30 UTC 2011

Have a lot of information today!

This is also going on in Atlanta, Maurice Shackelford, might have heard
about this, since it starting there and has been there since 2009, and just
recently has been extended indefinately.

What am I talking about, which opened here in New York City, down at the
South Street Seaport, is a new exhibit called Dialog in the Dark.

One of our own NFB members here in New York City and writer for the Matilda
Ziegler, Romeo Edmead, is a guide there, and I just got off the phone with
him about it.  I also asked him if he has time to maybe come to the
teleconference this Tuesday to talk more about it. But he said the event has
just exploded with excitement and curiosity, so when he is not working, he
is being interviewed about it.

Here is the story from the Matilda Ziegler, but Romeo Edmead.

This past Saturday at the South Street Seaport in New York City, a new
exhibit that uses darkness to bring people into the light, Dialog in the
Dark, opened its doors to paying customers, offering hour long tours in
total darkness. The new attraction presents visitors with the opportunity to
experience some of New York's shrines in an entirely different manner. As
they watch a video demonstration of how to use a white cane, sighted
visitors are then given one just before entering a world that will soon turn
pitch black.

Once the sense of sight is rendered useless, a totally blind or visually
impaired tour guide emerges and leads the way. If the guide is Valarie
Rosario, a former teacher from Queens, you can expect a brief lesson as you
move through each of the 5 galleries. "I like to have an anecdote for each
stop along the tour," Ms. Rosario said. "So whether we are in Times Square
or Central Park, I have a story for them." Of course listening to Ms.
Rosario is essential, but she wants to be sure that everyone is touching
too. "In the market, I go around and put things in people's hands or
sometimes I'll bring someone over to an area so they can explore."

Damon Fuller, a tour guide from Staten Island, implores his groups to roam
around freely. "I make my tours calm and relaxing," said Fuller. "I try to
encourage them to use their canes to walk around and use their other senses
to enjoy the experience, while I keep the tone of my voice at a level that
provides comfort."

Mr. Fuller and Ms. Rosario were both excited about opening weekend, and felt
that everything went very smooth. Mr. Fuller did admit that he only became
really confident after his second tour, saying, "I needed to know that doing
well on the first one wasn't just a fluke." All the guides had been giving
free tours for a while, but Mr. Fuller said there is added pressure when
people put their money down.

Although visitors just began reaching into their wallets in New York, Dialog
in the Dark is the second of its kind in the United States. Three years ago,
Atlanta, Georgia began welcoming customers, and what was initially predicted
to last only 6 months has just been extended indefinitely. With that said,
you still need to go back even further in order to find the true roots of
Dialog in the Dark, which goes back more than two decades. It all began on
the continent of Europe in the late 1980's, where you can still find museums
today.

Back in New York, everyone can only dream of matching the success of their
predecessors. Guides like Stephanie Foxworth-Johnson, enjoys her new job
beyond anything words can describe. "People will have fun on my tours, and
they will walk away with an education about the blind community, too. When
they leave me, they will have more respect for us and our capabilities,
understanding that sight has nothing to do with intelligence or enjoying
life." When asked how long she could see herself doing this, the Manhattan
resident said, "I'm going to ride until the wheels fall off!"

As the wheels turn, admission to the exhibit is $22.50, and hours are from
10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday to Thursday, and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Fridays and
Saturdays. For more information go to www.dialognyc.com or call
888-926-3437.

reservations at echevarriatravel.com

Affiliated as an Independent Contractor with Superior Travel, located in
Baldwin, NY. www.superiortravel.com

Affiliated as an Independent Contractor with Absolute Cruise & Travel, Inc.