[Travelandtourism] Today is the Statue of Liberty's 125th Birthday

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 28 12:17:47 UTC 2011

Today here in NY is the 125 Birthday of the Statue of Liberty

The Statue of Liberty Enlightening the World was a gift of friendship from
the people of France to the people of the United States and is a universal
symbol of freedom and democracy. The Statue of Liberty was dedicated on
October 28, 1886, designated as a National Monument in 1924 and restored for
her centennial on July 4, 1986.

The 1886 dedication was attended by President Grover Cleveland, who
proclaimed on that day that 'Liberty' would "magnify France beyond the
seas." The dedication was followed by a fireworks display and New York
City's first ever 'Ticker Tape' parade.

The NPS theme for the 125th anniversary events is 'Honor History, Envision
the Future.' The program for the day is jointly sponsored by the National
Park Service and their proud partners at the Statue of Liberty and Ellis
Island Foundation, the Coca-Cola Company and Macy's

The Statue of Liberty will remain open through October 28th, 2011. The next
day all interior spaces of the Statue of Liberty will close while upgrades
are made to the 125 year old pedestal and the 200 year old fort base from
which the statue rises. But, don't worry Liberty Island will remain OPEN so
a visit should remain part of your travel plans. The work is expected to be
completed in approximately one year.

When completed, the interior will have new stairways and elevators. Upgrades
to water and mechanical systems will also be addressed. Since the work is
being done inside, views of Lady Liberty from land and sea will remain
unobstructed. National Park Rangers will remain on site to greet, educate
and inspire thousands visiting each day.  Please check the schedule for our
ranger programs when you arrive.

Daily, the majority of visitors tour the exterior grounds only, since only
approximately 2,500 tickets are available to go inside. The planned work
affects a minority of visitors. We look forward to fostering connections and
inspiring you while the statue of "Liberty Enlightening the World" undergoes
a transformation that will ensure her enjoyment for generations to come.

New York and Long Island are my specialty.  Should any of you are thinking
of coming to NY. You don't need a tour guide, I am your guide.

Want to get tickets to see a show, or go to a different restaurant, and
visit the top of the Empire State Building, or just sing "If I can make it
there, I can make it anywhere.  It's up to you New York, New York", hearing
Frank Sinatra in my ears.

reservations at echevarriatravel.com

Affiliated as an Independent Contractor with Superior Travel, located in
Baldwin, NY. www.superiortravel.com