[Travelandtourism] U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood TakesAction to Make Websites and Kiosks Accessible to AirTravelers with Disabilities

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 19 18:21:50 UTC 2011

Hai Nguyen Ly

I want to thank you for posting this information. I just got off the phone
with Bill Mosley he said that we can send a comment on this by going to
www.regulations.gove

and search for DOT-OST-2011-0177 and hit search and post a comment. I will
also like to see others posting to this as well.

In a few days, since I am home from NY State Convention. That I would write
a letter to the Department of Transportation with my own issues with this;
also I will ask that David Andrews possible forward this to talk lists
besides us as well.

This is a serious issues, especially since our case was thrown out of court
when we filed one about the airlines, and we were told that they do not fall
under the ADA.

This is an issue that I am brining up to the board, which I am hoping all of
you are on the list, that we support and offer assistance to Baltimore on
this issue. Let us try and speak of this at out board meeting that is coming
up next week on the 27th, should those of you interested in participating on
that call it is open to everyone and not just the board.

It will be posted again soon the date and instructions of the call.

reservations at echevarriatravel.com

Affiliated as an Independent Contractor with Superior Travel, located in
Baldwin, NY. www.superiortravel.com

Affiliated as an Independent Contractor with Absolute Cruise & Travel, Inc.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Contact:  Bill Mosley
Tel.: (202) 366-4570

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood Takes Action to Make Websites and
Kiosks Accessible to Air Travelers with Disabilities

                The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), in its ongoing
effort to ensure equal access to air transportation for all travelers, today
proposed a regulation that would require airlines to make their websites
accessible to individuals with disabilities and ensure that their ticket
agents do the same.  DOT also proposed that airlines make automated airport
kiosks at U.S. airports accessible to passengers with disabilities. U.S.
airports that jointly own, lease or control such kiosks with airlines would
also have responsibility for ensuring the accessibility of automated airport
kiosks.

“I strongly believe that airline passengers with disabilities should have
equal access to the same services as all other travelers,” said U.S.
Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood.  “The Department of Transportation is
committed to ensuring that airline passengers are treated fairly, and today’s
action is part of that effort.”

                Under the proposed rule, airlines would be required to make
their websites accessible to persons with disabilities over a two-year
period.  Websites would be required to meet the standards for accessibility
contained in the widely accepted Website Content Accessibility Guidelines.
The requirement would apply to U.S. and foreign carriers with websites
marketing air transportation to U.S. consumers for travel within, to or from
the United States.  Small ticket agents would be exempt from the requirement
to have accessible websites.

In addition, airlines and airports that use automated kiosks for services
such as printing boarding passes and baggage tags would have to ensure that
any kiosk ordered 60 days after the rule takes effect is accessible.
Standards for accessibility would be based on standards for automated
transaction machines set by the Department of Justice in its 2010 Americans
with Disabilities Act rule.  This requirement would apply to U.S. and
foreign carriers and U.S. airports that own, lease or control automated
airport kiosks at U.S. airports with 10,000 or more annual boardings.  The
proposal asks for comment on the cost and feasibility of retrofitting
existing kiosks to make them accessible.

                This proposal is the latest in a series of DOT rulemakings
to implement the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA).  In the ACAA rule issued in
May 2008, DOT required carriers, among other things, to make discounts
available to passengers with disabilities who cannot use inaccessible web
sites and therefore must make telephone or in-person reservations. Also, if
passengers with disabilities are unable to use the kiosk because it is not
accessible, carriers are required to provide equivalent service, such as
having an airline employee assist in operating the kiosk.  However, these
provisions do not give passengers with disabilities, especially those with
visual and mobility impairments, independent access to the websites and
kiosks, and in this final rule the Department committed to exploring how to
make websites and kiosks accessible.

Comments on the proposal are due within 60 days of publication in the
Federal Register.  The proposal is available on the Internet at
www.regulations.gov, docket DOT-OST-2011-0177.  In addition, the Department
has partnered with Cornell University’s eRulemaking Initiative (CeRI),
Regulation Room, designed to improve the public’s ability to understand and
participate in this rulemaking process. A goal of the CeRI team is to make
Regulation Room as accessible to as many users as possible.  This
partnership supports President Obama’s open-government initiative.  People
wanting to discuss and learn about this proposed rule should go to
www.regulationroom.org.