[Travelandtourism] Cruise Questions

Bill Kociaba williamkociaba at comcast.net
Tue Sep 20 10:48:00 UTC 2011

Hi Stacy,
First let me say Celebrity and Carnival are worlds apart in every way from
their food quality to their ships to their staff.  I am speaking both as
someone who has traveled a great deal and also as a professional in the
cruise /travel industry.   The ship you have chosen is laid out in a very
logical and simple manner.  More so than any other ship I have ever been on!
I have been cruising since I was a small child and believe I have been on
some where around 40-45 cruises(starting in the early 60s)   I have sevral
suggestions that will enhance the trip for you.  First get abord as early as
you can.  They tell you something like 2:00 I believe. Ignore that be ready
to embark at 11:30-12:00  Secondly I would take advantage of the tour that
is offered. Yes you will have plenty of time to learn the ship but the day
of embarkation things are always crazy. Lots of people all trying to find
their way around..  Letting the cruise line know in advance will only be to
your bennifet.  As I said this is not Carnival.   You might find that the
staff will try to be almost too helpful.  There are far more staff members
on this ship than on most of the other lines.  You will likely be offered
help to find your way any time you are walking around.  Its their job to
help the guests sighted blind or otherwise.  This line focuses on guest
services a great deal.  In truth I have gotten annoyed while wandering the
ship to learn my way as I couldn't go twenty feet without someone offereing
help.  I usually cruise with my wife who is sighted but normally go
wandering by myself a great deal. Its my job to learn where everything is as
my wife has a really lousy sense of direction.
Regarding the tours,  they are provided by local vendors that the cruise
line contracts with and some of the vendors are just more accessable than
others.  I can give you a great deal more info if you would contact me
directly off group at williamkociaba at comcast.net or phone me on my cel at
954-801-6322  I do have access to some accessable tours in the various ports
as well as having a very close relationship with the head of the access dept
at Royal/Celebrity.
One thing I have done for blind clients of mine was to create an audio deck
plan or ship tour for them explaining in detail where various venues are
both in relation to the clients stateroom as well as to each other.  If
there is anything I can do to help make sure you have a fantastic first
cruising expeirience, it would be my pleasure.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Bill
954-801-6322 cel
williamkociaba at comcast.net