[Travelandtourism] Intro

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Sep 20 15:24:52 UTC 2011

What I like about Nebraska...I've never thought that much about it
really.  So here goes!

I like the open airy feel.  There aren't buildings on top of buildings
all squashed together.  Everything here is spread out with lots of room
for trees and grass in between.

I like the people.  Even the bigger cities here have that small town
friendliness about them.  Everyone smiles and waves.  People talk to
each other at the store, waiting in line, waiting to cross a street even
total strangers.  Wherever you go in Nebraska you always feel welcome.

I like shopping locally.  Many of the stores here have been owned and
operated by individual families for generations.  I like knowing that
I'm supporting the local economy.  I also like being able to talk
directly to the store owner about their goods or services.  There is no
corporate office.

Okay for fun or touristy things to do...First the food because that is
the most important! Nebraska has some awesome steaks.  I can recommend
some really small, quaint places to eat with some of the best steak you
will ever have at prices that won't even come close to those big fancy
places.   Nebraska City is known for its apples and the Applejack
festival.  St. Labori (I'm probably spelling that wrong) has the best
watermelon I've ever eaten.  Right now is prime time for the
watermelons.  the apples should be just coming into season.

And of course there is the corn!  Being a farming family, we have the
benefit of growing our own corn.  Sweet corn comes into season about the
third week in July.  We eat corn on the cob as much as possible when it
is in season.  That's when it's the best.  What we can't eat is frozen
for the rest of the year.

We say in Nebraska that football is a religion.  I'm not much of a
football fan, but the religion analogy is pretty apt.  Everyone wears
red on game days regardless if you are actually going to the game,
watching the game with friends on TV or listening to the game on the
radio while at work.   You cannot go in any store in Nebraska on a game
day and hear anything on the radio played in the background but the
football game.  There are large screen TV's and chairs set up in the
mall for watching the game while waiting for other family members who
are shopping.

There are numerous opportunities for cultural and historical learning
opportunities.  Some of the larger more well known places are the Arch
near Kearney.  Sorry it has about a mile long name that no one knows or
uses.  It's known locally as the arch.  I've been a few times and highly
recommend it.  There is an audio tour along with the visual displays.
As you get close to each display the audio receiver will automatically
pick up the signal and begin that display's presentation. the theme is
transportation through Nebraska from the first people here to the present.

Menden has Pioneer Village.  Plan to spend an entire day here.  There is
a sod Native American home, blacksmiths shop, pioneer homes, antique
cars and tons of other things to look at from pioneer times.

There's also the Henry Dorly zoo in Omaha.  The Lincoln children zoo in
Lincoln, a roller skating museum in Lincoln, the World War 2 museum in
Lincoln, and most small towns throughout Nebraska have museums of a very
specific or local theme.  York has a marble museum.

There's also campgrounds everywhere.  Camping, hunting and fishing are
all popular recreational activities.  Catfish and various types of bass
are popular for fisherman.  Deer and pheasant are probably the most
commonly hunted animals.  Many campgrounds have other recreational
activities like archery ranges, boat docks, horseback riding and sled
runs and ice skating in the winter.

Another thing that I love about Nebraska are the local festivals and
fairs.  Most of these occur in the late summer and early fall.  4H is a
very strong activity for youth to participate.  County fairs showcase
the efforts of the kids projects throughout the year.  There is also all
the fair food, funnel cake, fried Twinkies, turkey legs, Greater Taters,
and Rainbow Ice.  Of course there's also entertainment you could only
find in Nebraska like Square Dancing Tractors!

Wow!  if you've read this far you get a medal!  I had no idea where all
that came from. And now I really should go forth and be productive!
*smile*  If anyone is considering a trip here, let me know, I'd be happy
to make suggestions of what to do and see.  I'm familiar with quite a
bit of Nebraska except for Omaha.

Julie