[Travelandtourism] Minutes for November 26 Travel and Tourism Board Meeting

Margo and Arrow margo.downey at verizon.net
Tue Dec 4 00:56:56 UTC 2012

Attached please find the Minutes of the Trevel and Tourism Board Meeting, November 26, 2012.

I am pasting them below as well.

Margo Downey

Travel and Tourism Meeting, November 26, 2012

Present: Cheryl Echevarria, Margo Downey, Maurice Shackeford, Milton Taylor, Amy Barron. Jemal Powell was absent.

Approval of Minutes:  Milt made a motion to approve the August, 2012 Minutes; Amy secoqded, Minutes approverddSecretary's Note, I will be sending the September, 2012 Minutes out soon since I now understand the method of retrieving the recording of that meeting.

Treasurer's Report: Nothing has changed. Margo made a motion to accept the Treasurer's Report, Milt seconded, Discussion:  $10 needs to be deposited in the bank; Treasurer's Report approved.

Trip to Vegas, Canyon Parks, Hoover Dam, Route 66: The trip is approved. the trip dates are October 9-13, 2013. The trip begins in Las Vegas and ends in Las Vegas. This is a 5-day trip lasting from Wednesday to Sunday.  we will be going to Vegas, Grand canyon, Hoover Dam, Route 66, Arizona, Zion and Bryce Canyons, Capitol Reef  and there will be a visit to the Navajo Reservation. There will be as many hands-on experiences as possible.  There are a lot of interested people. The pricing is structured in three tiers:  Single, $860 per person; Double, $721 per person; Triple, disble625 per person. The deposit will be ;was percent of the cost per person and is due by August 1, 2013. The deposit rates are: $172 for Sxle; $145 for Double; $120 for Triple. Payment plans can be arranged. The  final payment is due by September  1, bjac. The price includes hotels, food, bus, entrance fees. It does not include your transportation to and from Vegas and the tips for the bus driver and tour guide.

Travel protection: People who book this trip are encouraged to buy travel protection. The travel protection is from Travelguard.  Travel protection can be booked up until August,  2013. Travel protection will cost in the range of $61-$71 per person.
Cancellation: Should you cancel prior to Aug 1, 2013, all money will be refunded. Anyone canceling anytime after that, penalties will incur.
If people want!-every early to Vegas, they will be accommodated. The buses will have granola bars, cookies, water. We will have a group dinner in Vegas when we arrive and we will have a group breakfast when we return to Vegas on Day 5.  There will be shuttle service for us from the airport and train and also going back to the  train and plane. The bus will hold 32
people; we could need an additional bus. $25 from each person is going to our Travel and Tourism affiliate.  Maurice and Cheryl will split $50 between them from each person to pay their travel agent commissionsz
Scenic Tours is faciliteating this tour.

 Right after holidays, we need to start planning for National Convention. Convention dates are July 1-6. We would like to tour Disneyworld  to discuss accessibility. It was suggested that we tour Magic Kingdom because of there new features. Epcott was also suggested.

We also talked about a tour of the  Holocaust Museum in Orlando.  The Museum is free.
Presentations: Any suggestions for presentations. We hope to have Norowegian Cruise Line present. we could have Travel and Guide dog instructors talk about orienting to a new city or location.

Our next Board meeting will be January 21, 2013 at 8 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted By:
Margo Downey, Secretary
Travel and Tourism Diuision
National Federation of the Blind