[Travelandtourism] Three Kings Celebration in Puerto Rico

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 10 15:25:29 UTC 2012

Good morning all:
The holidays just don't end on January 1, there are many holidays in other areas of the US or the world that is celebrated, like Kwanzaa, which I am not familiar with, my knowledge is about the Three Kings Celebration in Puerto Rico.
You may or may not know my husband, Nelson, well he was born and raised in Puerto Rico until the age of the New York Mets here in NY, yeah boy is he old, LOL.
Anyway, he has been living in NY or as he says it the US, for over 50 years, and yes, he robed the cradle.  LOL, nope was already married, and had a child. I started at 12 rofl.
Boy, am I in a silly mood today.
Anyway, Three Kings
The festival, celebrated since 1884, honors the Three Kings who brought gifts of incense, gold and myrrh to the Baby Jesus. While the holiday is celebrated throughout Puerto Rico, the largest gathering is found in a town outside Ponce, called Juana Diaz. People of all ages and nationalities converge on this small town to watch and participate in the festival.

My husband and his family comes for the town of Juana Diaz.  He says he comes from Ponce, but the city is Juana Diaz, in a little Barrio called, Manizanilla.
I am posting this another other things and places that go on in Puerto Rico, because everyone thinks Puerto Rico is San Juan, and it isn't.
It is like me saying I am from Brentwood, NY and let's face it, when you mention, New York, everyone thinks, New York City, and a lot of people who live on Long Island or other areas of NY, have never been to New York City.
Also, Puerto Rico, is part of the USA, meaning No Passports Required, and for those with the travel and tourism division, we may want to go as a group, it is great, and plus if we go a certain time of the year when my brother in law is not teaching, he knows the ins and outs of the Island.
I will post tomorrow some of the things that we do and eat during the time between thanksgiving and three kings, which is like going to Walt Disney world during Christmas for myself, it is magical.
The people of Puerto Rico, are real familia (family), like to party, but in a different way they we like to, will give you the shirts off there backs, like my Nelson.

Anyway, back to the Three Kings Celebration, which start January 6

reservations at echevarriatravel.com

For daily updates read our blog at
http://www.echevarriatravel.wordpress.com