[Travelandtourism] Name change

Michael Baldwin mbaldwin at gpcom.net
Sat Jan 28 00:43:07 UTC 2012

Here are my thoughts on the name.
National Association of Blind Travelers

I do agree it does sound kind of O&M ish. Cane travel, traveling skills,
traveling blind, traveling independently, are all examples of phrases I have
heard when referring to O&M. Some other terminology should be used to
clarify the name. So something instead of or in addition to traveling should
be considered.

The word blind in the name also seems a little redundant. It is a division
of the National Federation of the Blind. It would be considered by most that
the division would be focused on something to do with the blind.

The name itself also seems to indicate a completely different organization
separate from the NFB. The national Association of Blind Travelers a
division of the national Federation of the Blind. Yeah, that doesn't sound
right. The words national Association should be eliminated from the name or
any proposed names. Unless there is indeed future plans to move the group
out on its own, away from the NFB. I know other groups have used the
national Association part, but I don't like it for them either.

But, that is just my thoughts.

Michael