[Travelandtourism] January 23, 2012 Board Meeting Minutes

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Sun Jan 29 22:34:43 UTC 2012

Good afternoon everyone,

    There is a correction I need to make to the minutes concerning recording
the meeting. The minutes currently read as follows:

Pete Donahue offered to record the meeting depending on whether the sound
system can be plugged in to the
hotel public-address system without costing the hotel any money.

It should read:

Pete Donahue offered to record the meeting depending on the size of the room
and whether his sound system can be used as a P.A. system instead of our
using the hotel sound system. If the meeting is held in a very large room
his sound system would need to be plugged in to the
hotel public-address system witch could result in having to pay a charge to
the hotel audio/visual service for this connection.

    With more and more affiliates wanting to record or broadcast their
convention activities on the Internet something needs to be negotiated with
the hotel A/V service to make this possible. Last year this problem resulted
in a major convention activity hosted by our Affiliate Action Department not
being recorded. It was our Affiliate Action Department that initially
approached me about recording the Back-to-Basics Seminars in 2009. I was
able to do the 2009 and 2010 seminars but was unable to do last years due to
this issue. If one of our departments at our national headquarters wanted me
to record their convention activities arrangements to cover any charges for
connecting to the in-room sound system, or using the services of the
audio/video department to help me connect to their p.a. system in order to
record the event should have been covered by the national office. The
Affiliate Action Department has all ready been put on notice that if they
want me to record any of their activities held in very large rooms this A/V
horsepuckey must be taken care of before we get to Dallas.

    If the Travel and Tourism Division meets in a small room such as those
on the second floor of the Hilton Anatole Atrium this is not an issue. I can
bring a pear of speakers to use to provide sound for the room like I did in
Orlando last year. Some of the meeting rooms at the Shingle creek didn't
have any sound systems in them. Boy was I glad to have brought a pear of
speakers to provide amplification of the presentation audio so everyone
could hear. It's large meeting rooms like the Wedgwood and the Safire and of
course the Chantilly Ball Room at the Hilton Anatole where bleeding the
in-room sound system is a definite must.

    Sorry to get too technical but I wanted list members to understand this
situation. Hopefully we can put it on a path of resolution for future
national conventions so it won't keep coming up every year. All the best.

Peter Donahue