[Travelandtourism] Customer of Size Issue Forums

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Sat Mar 10 02:41:23 UTC 2012

Hello Reese and everyone,

    Before the boss reigns us in on this one I'm fully aware that this
strays from blindness in to another realm of airline-related issues. Perhaps
you and Cheryl can research agencies and organizations who are taking up
this issue so those of us facing this situation when we fly can work with
them on a legislative initiative. Blind air passengers aren't the only ones
effected by these policies. It's a matter of first finding out who is
working on abolishing these policies and joining with them so our voices can
be heard in the proper venues.

    Off-hand I'm thinking that this could be addressed by amending the Air
Carrier Access Act to include regulations on dealing with large customers.
At least all of the airlines would be on the same page where policies are
concerned. You can go in to many places now a days and find a few seats in
wating rooms designed for large persons. Some of the medical facilities we
use have such seating in their wating rooms. Perhaps the ADA prompted them
to put them there. If this is indeed the case airlines should be required to
have a percentage of wider seats on their planes to accommodate large
passengers. But first we need to find out what other organizations are
championing this issue on behalf of large passengers to put an end to this
practice. All the best.

Peter Donahue