[Travelandtourism] Discussion: New members of the division. Let us welcome them

DBrown8827 at aol.com DBrown8827 at aol.com
Sun Aug 4 21:43:25 UTC 2013

Thank you for welcoming me to the Travel and Tourism  Division.  Again, my
name is Denice Brown and I live in Philadelphia,  PA.  I am President of the
Greater Philadelphia Chapter of the NFB of  PA.  I have been President
since 2003.  I am blind due to retinitis  pigmentosa which I have had since
birth, but my vision began to diminish greatly  in 1990 at the age of 32.  I am
a retired elementary school  teacher.

I currently serve on the SEPTA Advisory Committee  which is the voice for
persons with disabilities who might right Para Transit,  or the fixed-route
bus system.  I ride both, but I spend about 90% of the  time riding public
transportation.  I am also a member of Delta Sigma Theta  Sorority, Inc. and I
serve as the recording secretary for my local chapter, with  this
organization I spend a great deal of time serving my  community.

I travel to the NFB major events each year along with  my sororities
events.  I love to travel to New York City for Broadway  Shows, shopping and
eating.  I do have concerns about accessibility when it  comes to travel for
blind individuals.  I have had mostly good experiences  when it comes to
airlines, airports, hotel staff and restaurants.  I know  that many others have not
been as lucky and I want to make sure that they  register their complaints
and either get satisfaction, or find the proper  procedure to make sure that
this does not happen again.

If it can fit into my schedule, I might like to travel  with this group (or
any other group for that matter).

Ok, I have said enough.  If you want to learn  just a little more about me,
you can read a story that was printed in the  December 2006 Braille Monitor
with the title 'What A  Relief'

Take care,
Denice Brown

In a message dated 8/4/2013 9:01:36 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,