[Travelandtourism] {Disarmed} Discussion: Deaf-Blind Priest prevented from flying

Tracie Inman tracieinman at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 13 01:47:17 UTC 2013

Deaf, blind priest grounded by airline

August 12 2013 at 12:50pm
By
Neo Maditla
INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPERS

Deaf and blind priest Father Cyril
Axelrod was refused a seat on a plane to
Joburg. Picture: Ross
Jansen

Cape Town - A deaf and blind priest says he feels "humiliated"
following an
incident at the Cape International Airport on Saturday when
British Airways
staff refused to let him board a plane to Joburg on his
own.

On Sunday, Father Cyril Axelrod, 71, of the Holy Redeemer Catholic
Church in
Bergvliet, said he spent his time between South Africa and
England, where he
was based, and had had no trouble flying on his own
before.

Speaking through a sign language translator, Axelrod said: "I
have a
relationship with a travel agent who knows my travel needs and always
clarifies them to the airline beforehand."

Axelrod showed the Cape
Argus a special tag that British Airways issued to
him five years ago which
has his name on it and clearly states he is allowed
to travel on his
own.

But on Saturday afternoon as he was trying to check in, a BA ground
crew
member said she was not sure if he would be allowed to fly alone and
proceeded to call a supervisor.

"I explained to them that I have
flown alone to South Africa many times. But
they called the captain, who
said no, I am not allowed on the flight. I was
shocked. I couldn't believe
it."

Axelrod said they asked him - through his translator - if he knew
the
emergency procedure and he told them he did and recited it to them, but
that
did not help either.

His ticket was confiscated and he had to
return to Bergvliet instead of
heading to Joburg where he was expected to
give a church service on the East
Rand.

"I feel humiliated. They took
away my human rights," he said.

"I feel extremely bad about this. They
didn't treat me like a human being.

"They should have asked how I could
assist them. They could have learned
something. They could have asked me and
I could have helped them. This is
not fair."

He is due to fly back to
England in September and is worried that he may not
be allowed to
board.

"I was born and raised in South Africa. But I live in England.
They know my
home is in London."

DeafSA's Wilma Newhoudt-Druchen said
the incident was a form of
discrimination and that when DeafSA had tried to
get hold of the airline
through translator Francois Deysel its call centre
had been closed.

Newhoudt-Druchen said DeafSA would go to the airporton
Monday to try to get
to the bottom of what had happened and get Axelrod's
ticket refunded.

British Airways could not be reached for comment. - Cape
Argus

Source

Recent Activity:
Visit Your Group