[Travelandtourism] Need your ideas for our next fundraiser event trip for...

Trevor Attenberg tattenberg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 22:36:13 UTC 2013

Hey Guys,
Please don’t take this as a vote as I won’t be able to travel during
these proposed times; but I’d like to say I’ve been to the Great
Smokey Mountains and adjacent wilderness in North Carolina, and this
is an absolutely stunning region for those who love hiking, nature,
and he outdoors in general. The mountains along the Tennessee North
Carolina frontier are the highest in the Eastern half of North
America. While they’re still dwarfed by many Western Mountain ranges,
they are still quite prominent and offer much in the way of natural
beauty and variety. The area contains the largest areas of forest in
the East to never be cleared for industrial timber harvest or farming.
As a result you can find the largest tree specimens in the east along
trails. Several tulip trees and white pines reach close to 200 feet in
height. Spring may be the finest time to visit, as this is a time when
folks are drawn by a multitude of blooming wild flowers, including
various species of trillium, magnolia, rhododendrons, and azaleas. If
you’re unable to see the color of the flowers, you can still grasp the
magnificent diversity, as each plant species can be distinguished by
texture, size, shape, and sometimes smell. The high Southern
Appalachians, along with Northeast China boast the most biologically
diverse habitat outside of the tropics. When ice age glaciers crept
down to cover Canada and the Northeast U.S prior to about 12,000 years
ago, organisms were largely able to retreat south along the spine of
the Appalachians where they found suitable habitat and mixed with warm
subtropical climate species that inhabit low valleys today. The high
mountain tops contain temperate rainforest, with plants better known
to Canada and precipitation only exceeded bin the U.S. by the Pacific
Northwest.
The Great Smokey Mountains National Park contains close to 120 species
of birds that nest and sing on the land, and many additional species
during migration and winter. Some of the most common birds according
to a survey include black-throated blue warblers, blue-headed vireos,
ovenbirds, Acadian flycatchers, and Louisiana waterthrushes. I have an
Ap on my IPhone from the Audubon Society that contains bird sound
recordings, and allows for access to local sighting databases.
One major drag of the Park is it is the most visited and crowded of
our national Parks. This is no doubt due to the close proximity to
several cities and metropolitan areas, like Nashville, Ashville, and
the Atlanta Metro area. What's good is few visitors actually go far
from their cars. There is a toll-free highway running through the Park
from Tennessee to North Carolina, and only a few roadside tourist
attractions draw most visitors to stop. If you go hiking, you can
easily get away from everyone. Perhaps the most popular stop is Cade’s
Cove, which is a maintained old mountain settlement area. I did not
visit it during my trip to the Smokeys, but I believe it hosts
happenings of traditional folk music and arts. You can also find
isolated, but maintained log houses and gardens that once belonged to
settlers along current hiking trails.
When I visited the area, I first spent a couple nights in Gatlinburg.
Quite honestly I found it pretty tacky. A lot of chain restaurants,
Elvis themed hole-in-the-wall establishments, Minnie golf, face
painting, and other touristy and carnivalesque things. I did not stop
in Pigeon Forge, but I got the impression it was mostly the same type
of deal. On the NC side of the Park is the Eastern Cherokee Nation
reservation. I imagine there are items of cultural and natural
interest here, but nothing struck the fancy of my traveling partner or
me driving by. I visited a beautiful botanical garden near Ashville
with a great collection of native and cultivated azaleas and other
plants. I also hiked into Linville Gorge, which was sunning and deeper
than Canyon De Chelle in Arizona. The gorge hosted large hemlocks
growing from the rocks, and the quite spectacular Linville Falls,
which you can see from gorge overlooks and from the Linville River
near the foot. The mountains here are home to more salamanders and
freshwater mussel species than anywhere else in the world. Many
species of the freshwater mussels unfortunately went extinct during
the 20th century due to river damming and contamination; but you can
still find different types of shells washed up along stream banks.
Ashville is known for the Biltmore estate, but I did not visit, and
hear it is quite pricy.
The smoke of the Smokeys comes, at least originally from a combination
of the misty air and oils exuded from native plants. Today this is
combined with exhaust, largely from car traffic within and outside the
Park. It would be nice if the park had buses that could take visitors
to sites and trailheads, but I didn’t see any. One wheelchair
accessible destination in the park was Klingman’s Dome (the Highest
Mountain in Tennessee) which has a short but steep paved path from a
parking area to the summit. There is also at least one nice paved
nature trail. I really dug my visit to the area and would love to go
back for more hiking some time. I hope this caught some of your
interest. I could go on much longer.
Blaa Blaa Blaa,
Trevor A