[Travelandtourism] Minutes of the Travel and Tourism Division Meeting

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 30 13:48:32 UTC 2013

These minutes are from our very 1st Teleconference Division Meeting of the NFB Travel & Tourism Division which was held on September 30th, 2013 at 8PM Eastern Time.

Thank you Secretary Margo Downey.

Minutes, Travel and Tourism Membership Meeting, September
30, 2013 from 8-9pm Eastern Time

The first Travel and Tourism members’ teleconference call
was this evening.

A roll call was taken.
We had a total of 4 members attend. Denise Brown, PA; Don Gilmore, IL; Steve Hastalis, IL;

Members can join the Travel and Tourism email list by going
to nfbnet.org and look for Travel and Tourism and sign up.  We can help people join this list if you need
help.  Currently President Cheryl
Echevarria and Secretary Margo Downey, have been contacting members and
reminding them about meetings and participating on the talk list, and to make
sure all member are on the NFB Travel and Tourism Talk list, we have too many
people complaining of receiving more than 1 e-mail or not wanting others to now
there e-mail addresses. So please make sure you are on our talk list for all
important information.

Our email address is info at nfbtravel.org

Our website is www.nfbtravel.org

We have Twitter and Facebook accounts as well. Twitter
account is www.twitter.com/TravelandTouri1

Facebook account is: www.facebook.com/pages/NFB-Travel-and-Tourism-Division

The dues is $10 to join the Division. You can go to the www.nfbtravel.org website to learn
how to join the division.

The topics we cover include traveling anywhere, how to start
a travel business, accessible travel and more.

Our trip for 2014 is to Nashville, Tennessee.  The trip is 5 days, 4 nights and we’ll fly
into Nashville, Dates are October 6-10, 2014.

 It’s about country
music, Grand Ole Opry, riding the flatboats in the Grand Ole Opry hotel, seeing
a show, touring a plantation, touring the Country Music Hall of Fame.  The price includes bus, hotel, breakfast and
dinner daily, tips for the drivers and tour guide, and of course, all the
entertainment.  We’ll even get a
backstage tour and we’ll go to a dinner theater.  The price is $568 per person—double
occupancy.  $42 per person will go to the
NFB Travel and Tourism Division.  We need
a minimum of 30 people to go and maximum of 52 people.  The ayes have it for the Nashville trip.

Payment plans can be made; insurance options are available
for the Nashville Trip.  Travel insurance
does not cover job-related problems unless you can prove you were fired or laid
off.

Travel agents should promote these trips for Travel and
Tourism.

We can help other Divisions with fund-raising.

Airline issues were brought up.  NAGDU and Travel and Tourism would like to compile
a database of airline and other transportation issues.

There may be a leadership seminar on airlines held at our
National Center.

It is not discriminatory for a guide dog user’s hands to be
wiped down during the security check.

Respectfully Submitted by

Margo Downey, Secretary, Travel and Tourism Division,

National Federation of the Blind

Disabled Entrepreneur of the Year 2012 of NY StateLeading the Way in Independent Travel!
Cheryl Echevarria, Ownerwww.echevarriatravel.com631-456-5394reservations at echevarriatravel.com
 Your old car keys can be the keys to literacy for a blind child.  Donate your unwanted vehicle to us by clicking www.nfb.org/vehicledonations or call 855-659-9314. Echevarria Travel has partnered with Braille Smith. www.braillesmith.com for all her braille needs.  Gail Smith is the Secretary of the NFB of Alabama