[Travelandtourism] Travel Insurance Cancellation for any reason does not cover

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 13 14:54:10 UTC 2013

For those of you who like to travel and get the travel insurance. Some of you have credit cards that have it with there programs, some purchase it with a travel professional or some purchase it on their own prior to travel.

Now most travel I book, a lot of people are booking way in advance, almost 2 years to make payment plans, for large trips, they buy the travel insurance as a just in case, which mostly all insurance from home, medical, car, etc. Is for just in case, you are insuring just in case something happens you are covered.

Travel Insurance normally coming into place of your trip, when the penalty phase for your trip comes into place.  Usually on a cruise 90-45 days prior to travel up to that time you get all your money back, after that time it all depends, you will get anywhere from all of it less the deposit, then 50 percent back, then nothing.

Our trip, as long as you canceled prior to final payment date we had to pay the tour company you would get your money back, after that day if it was 30 days prior to travel you would get 50 percent back, after that mark you would get nothing back.

You first call to cancel your trip, should you have to. Prior to that time you need no proof or reason for canceling.

Once the penalty phase comes into place, you will get back whatever the supplier/vendor/cruise will get back, then you file a claim with the insurance company.

You need proof:

Death in the family - Death Certificate or mass card
Illness - They will contact your doctor or have you bring your forms to the doctor
Job - only if fired or laid off

What else does it cover?

Lost luggage, flight delays, if you get hurt on your trip, some plans like the group plans offer if you break a tooth or need emergency dental while away.

And so much more!

Your insurance is used first when traveling, then if there is any money afterwards that need to be used, you will get reimbursed by the travel insurance company.

I have had only 1 client who got hurt while traveling, and they took really good care of her, flew her home, got her a nurse, etc. More than what her insurance was willing to do.

What it doesn't cover, and many of our people who were attending our trip to Vegas and the National Parks in October are finding out.

When you purchase a policy and it says cancel for any reason, 99 percent of claims will be paid so long as a few rules apply.

1. Insurance claims will not be paid if your company says you cannot travel.

2. You decide you don't want to go.

You need proof of either being laid off or fired, usually you get documents for unemployment or disability for this.

3. If you use it because you are sick prior to travel, yes it does cover pre-existing conditions, so long as you purchase it as an individual up to 15 days after the initial deposit or purchase of your travel.

If you are getting group travel insurance with a private group similar to ours, the pre-existing clause is waived.

When you are filling out a claim to use the insurance, you need to be well enough the day of booking to receive it.

Case in point, this just happened to my client. And I warned her about it.

Husband has terminal cancer, they booked a cruise, the day before the cruise they cancelled due to husband having to go into the hospital.

Travel insurance will not pay the claim. You need to work with your doctor on this, let them know that you have a claim into the travel insurance company. They can word it better. This women's doctor didn't do that, and now they will not get any money back on there trip.

Disabled Entrepreneur of the Year 2012 of NY StateLeading the Way in Independent Travel!
Cheryl Echevarria, Ownerhttp://www.echevarriatravel.com631-456-5394reservations@echevarriatravel.comhttp://www.echevarriatravel.wordpress.com

Affiliated as an independent contractor with Montrose TravelCST - #1018299-10 FLST T156780Your old car keys can be the keys to literacy for a blind child.  Donate your unwanted vehicle to us by clicking https://nfb.org/vehicledonations or call 855-659-9314.Echevarria Travel has partnered with Braille Smith. http://www.braillesmith.com for all her braille needs.Gail Smith is the Secretary of the NFB of Alabama