[Travelandtourism] Tips for traveling with my cane

Cheryl Echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 17 18:24:00 UTC 2014

Well I would suggest since I am not sure how big the airport you are flying
out of, and which of the airports in Canada you are flying into to, which
would help.

We do have the TSA Cares program, which if you are in the USA, that you call
1-855-787-2227 72 hours prior to travel, you will speak directly with a TSA
Agent on the phone, they will assist you in preparing with the airport. As
well as, ask what disability you have, let them know if you are traveling
with someone who is also sighted or blind, a guide dog, any medical devices
you have like insulin pump, pace maker, metal plate or screws, etc

They will ask your flight information and time of flight and what airlines.

Tell them that you do not need wheelchair assistance, unless you have issues
with your legs, if they are a large airport they have people charts that go
around that can help, this has nothing to do with being disabled, these
airports are big unless it is a regional airport, then you don't have a lot
of walking or gates to get to, take it advantage of it. They will have
someone meet you at the airport to help you get through security. Move
through the lines faster.  Normally they will either give you a number to
call when you are about 10 minutes from the airport and the person will meet
you either at the check in at curb side or somewhere else, they will escort
you through the airport until you get to your airlines gate.

Cane skills, if you are a cane user the same as you would when you are in a
big mall that is what I compare it to, if you have a collapsible cane, which
I have when traveling, it helps.

When going through security you will have to put your cane through the
scanning machine, but you can ask for someone arms to assist you. Once you
are through security they will give you back your cane.

Any other questions?

For more information on tsa cares here is the link to the website

 http://tinyurl.com/cy2nbmu

Cheryl Echevarria, President
National Federation of the Blind's Travel and Tourism Division
A proud division of the
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND - "Live the life you want"
www.nfbtravel.org
631-236-5138
cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com

between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

Cheryl Echevarria is also the owner of Echevarria Travel
www.echevarriatravel.com; 631-456-5394 or reservations at echevarriatravel.com
and  has partnered with Braille Smith. www.braillesmith.com for all her
braille needs.  Gail Smith is the Secretary of the NFB of Alabama