[Travelandtourism] Accessible travel foreign language phrase learning formats?

Trevor Attenberg tattenberg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 06:16:09 UTC 2014

Hi Katie and all,
A good question and topic! Unfortunately I've not dealt with any language
learning aps as yet--I'm anxious to know what's accessible to the blind
user; however, before traveling to Belgium, I listened to all the Pimsleur
French learning CDs. They helped right off the bat. I would not be surprised
if these recordings are now downloadable as mp3s since we're apparently in
the 21st century. If not, surely you can rip the disks to your phone or
tablet device.
I also had luck with Pimsleur's Spanish lessons; though their Vietnamese
(FYI) set was pretty crappy; I.E. not comprehensive at all. Note Pimsleur's
vocab and phrases are very much oriented towards the profitable tourist or
business traveler--there's a lot of stuff on shopping, dining and the like.
I've been assured Rosetta Stone is not accessible, at least in its personal
computer form.
It would be great if anyone else here happened to be familiar with other
convenient language learning tools, such as aps.
Bonne nuit,
Trevor