[Travelandtourism] Travel & Tourism Meeting at National Convention

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 12 12:53:20 UTC 2014

Good morning everyone:
This e-mail message will also  be posted on our facebook page and the home page of nfbtravel.org
If you are unaware, the agenda for the convention has been posted, and there is a link on the nfb.org: here is the link
https://nfb.org/convention

The agenda is available in .mp3; accessible .pdf; word; BRF; and in Spanish
Our meeting is July 3rd from 1-4:30PM in Salon 17, Level 2,  No other division follows us in this room, so it might go longer, since we have wonderful guests from the travel industry will be with us again.  Norwegian Cruise Lines; Statler Center in Buffalo, NY: and also Special Needs at Sea, they are also called Special Needs Group, a supplier that offers services on cruise ships and some resorts and hotels world wide, they are located in FL.
Also, no rushing this year, Resolutions or Mock Trialis on July 2nd.
Registration starts at 1PM, dues are $10 a year, please bring cash, but we will take credit cards and checks made out to NFB Travel & Tourism.  Members now is the time to renew, New people lets have fun, or just come and listen.
Only those that register will eligible for a door prize that will be awarded at the end of the meeting
As many of us will be leaving in about 18 days to the 74th National Convention of the National Federation of the Blind and I wanted to thank the officers of this proud division of the National Federation of the Blind.
We have 3 opened seats that anyone who is interested may put their hat into the ring, 2 openings for Board Members and 1 Opening for Vice President.
Read carefully as well.
Our terms are over in July, but we have all decided to throw our hats in the ring for another 2 year term.  That being said, if you have the interest and qualifications, please come and be nominated and get voted in.
You do not have to work in the travel industry to be an officer, you don't have to sit on a transportation advisory board in your state, you do not need to be an officer on any level with the NFB. You have to be a member of the NFB, a paid member of the Travel & Tourism division and enjoy traveling, learning about independent travel for home, recreation and leisure travel. You must be able to attend the officer board meetings and monthly or bi-monthly membership meetings via teleconference.
You know who I am, Cheryl Echevarria, President since 2011, from the NFB of New York, I was in an extra year, due to the fact that Don Gillmore, was ill and could not continue, and I was asked to fill his big shoes. Don will be with us at National this year. I was voted in by all of you back in 2012, I will be seeking re-election.
I want to thank Vice President, Mr. Maurice Shackelford, who is from the Great State of Georgia, for all the hard work within this division and getting me into the field of being a travel agent from this list of all places back in 2009.  Maurice will be with us this year, but is not seeking re-election.
Next, Madame  Secretary, Margo Downey,  from the Great State of NY, she is my conscience and advisory on issues, before, during and after a meeting.  She will be attending this year and is seeking the position of Secretary for another term.
Treasurer, Milton Taylor, from the Great State of UT.  What can I say about one of my dearest friends not only in the NFB, but personally as well. We couldn't have done the UT trip last year without me and him on the phone almost everyday getting that 1st fundraiser off the ground.  Milton had stepped down a few months ago, due to the fact that he is now a Lions Club Vice District Governor in Utah, but he is not going anywhere, he has been treasurer since 2004 and that is over 10 years.  He will be an adviser to this division
We have an interim Treasurer, Mrs. Glenda Farnum, from the Great State of Oklahoma.  She has replaced Milton, and will need to be voted officially in by you the members in July.
Board Members  We have 2 openings for Board Members:
Amy Baron from the Great State of Minnesota, she is seeking the position of Vice President. She has been an active officer since 2012, and also a great friend.
Jamel Powell from the Great State of Illinois, thank you for bringing to our monthly teleconference meetings about the local transportation board there  in your state, so we can take back to our own states ideas for needs and services.
Jamel is seeking re-election for his seat.
We hope to see you at the Travel & Tourism Meeting.
Thank you.
Your sister in the NFB

Cheryl Echevarria, President
National Federation of the Blind's Travel and Tourism Division
A proud division of the National Federation of the Blind
www.nfbtravel.org
631-236-5138
cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

Sign up for our e-newsletter by e-mailing us you first and last name, and e-mail address to reservations at echevarriatravel.com, let us know if you want just text or pictures in your e-mail.

Echevarria Travel has partnered with Braille Smith. www.braillesmith.com for all her braille needs.  Gail Smith is the Secretary of the NFB of Alabama