[Travelandtourism] A Vote To Change The Lives Of The Disabled

Cheryl Echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 8 18:10:15 UTC 2014

Good afternoon all:

I was just contacted by a Mr. Jerome Thompson of the Bahamas. He is blind
and is a business owner, who is in the process of building an all-inclusive
resort on the Island of Andros, which one of the many islands of the
Bahamas.

He reached out to me today, to let me know from contacting another NFB
member, and that person gave him my name, because once this resorts opens
estimated sometime in late 2015 early 2016, he will be need customers.

Anyway, as the subject like states. A Vote to Change The Lives of the
Disabled. This is a story about the Bahamas passing The Persons with
Disabilities - Equal Opportunities Bill makes the Bahamas the second country
in the region to write into law the protection of the disabled and will
enforce harsh penalties on offenders.

The Bill was passed unanimously in July 2014. The link to the news story
will be posted at the end of this e-mail.

He is also doing something else and once he has the dates, Mr. Thompson will
be Driving A Speed Boat from Florida to the Bahamas independently.

Why is this important to us here in the US, well especially for us traveling
to that country, it would hope to make things more accessible at
destinations you will be visiting.

Here is the link:

http://thebahamianriviera.com/2014/07/17/bahamas-real-estate-the-bahamas-pas
ses-disability-bill-in-the-house-of-assembly/

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2014/jul/17/vote-change-lives-disabled/

Read them both.

Mr. Thompson, the Founder, President and CEO of Bahamas disability
Adventures who is 50 and was blind from the age of 11, made Bahamian Marine
history on July 11th, 2009 by becoming the first visually disable person in
The Bahamas to have captained a motor boat under his own power, anywhere in
the Country. He was assisted by a support team, including two vessels from
the Royal Bahamas Defense Force. He hopes to put the Organization on the map
again, by pursuing the accomplishment of this Ocean Crossing. For more on
this story if you have facebook, but he has allowed me to post more on my
facebook page and I will put it in my blog and send out the information.

He has also asked me to reach out to the National Office of the NFB, because
he has tried in the past to contact with no successful endeavors.

I would also like for me to be a guest on www.nfblive.org
<http://www.nfblive.org>  on some of the events that NFB Travel & Tourism is
also planning, and maybe invite him to the National Convention to speak at
the Travel & Tourism Meeting.

Cheryl Echevarria, President

National Federation of the Blind's Travel and Tourism Division

A proud division of the

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND - "Live the life you want"

www.nfbtravel.org

631-236-5138

cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com

between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

Cheryl Echevarria is also the owner of Echevarria Travel
www.echevarriatravel.com; 631-456-5394 or reservations at echevarriatravel.com
and  has partnered with Braille Smith. www.braillesmith.com for all her
braille needs.  Gail Smith is the Secretary of the NFB of Alabama