[Travelandtourism] Question about access when traveling to the Caribbean Island that accepts service animals into the country but not the resorts

Cheryl Echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 19 15:15:33 UTC 2014

Good morning President Gwizdala and NYAGDU and Travel and Tourism:

Here is a concern I face a lot when I book a client who has a guide dog, or
even myself, and I think maybe both division can work on.

The concern is that when I want to book a client to a Caribbean Island like
the Dominican Republic. The dogs are allowed into the country, but the
resorts refuse access to service animals.

What do we do in this case?

I call the government the US Embassy for Dominican Republic and they say
that the resorts and hotels and any place can deny them, but my question is,
if they are allowed into the country then why not be allowed.

Well there are no laws from denial there.

So, either customer doesn't go or I have to try and find another island or
country that will allow them to travel.

Thank you.

Don't know if I am asking a question or expressing aggravation, I guess
both.

Thank you.

Cheryl Echevarria, President

National Federation of the Blind's Travel and Tourism Division

A proud division of the

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND - "Live the life you want"

www.nfbtravel.org

631-236-5138

cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com

between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

Cheryl Echevarria is also the owner of Echevarria Travel
www.echevarriatravel.com; 631-456-5394 or reservations at echevarriatravel.com
and  has partnered with Braille Smith. www.braillesmith.com for all her
braille needs.  Gail Smith is the Secretary of the NFB of Alabama