[Travelandtourism] This was ADA Suit Against Disney May Expand to more information about what can be posted on the list and what the division is about

Trevor Attenberg tattenberg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 19:15:36 UTC 2014

Thanks.
I'd like to add though that I'm not sure why you are mentioning many of these things as a response to me: the names and occupations of the board members, etc. All that is interesting, but didn't have much to do with what was being spoken of.
I myself posted a message not long ago that concerned the travel industry, but didn't have to do with blindness necessarily. I opened the message with the caveat that it wasn't a blindness issue; but also that the list should be assured I wouldn't be sending out more such messages; and yet the message seemed to get shot down.
Like so many laws, the ADA, while encompassing the concerns of the blind, does not always concern the blind at all with regards to its individual sections and applications. I've attended long discussions on the ADA without encountering anything that remotely concerned my mobility or access to employment, etc. I think it would be good to wrap up the discussion of the ADA at this point.
  One thing that may be confusing or concerning to many that come to the list is its nearly exclusive focus on travel and tourism from an employment perspective. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing at all uncalled for with this focus; but I feel like many of us may appreciate a wider discussion of what it is to travel as a blind individual. Personally, I have no interest in getting into the hospitality or travel agency business. There are also forms of travel that I do not enjoy. I have no problem with such topics being talked about--not at all--but I can imagine some listers have been turned off by the dominant presents of one or a few individuals discussing a few topics that seem of little personal relevance. Being on list serves can be a real drag in that way.
I myself have tried to spice up things by sharing several items I find interesting; though I admit I haven't gotten much in the way of feedback. Being on the list is not really a problem to me as I can quickly delete emails with unappealing subject lines. Never the less I feel that given my busy schedule and other factors, the list is probably the best way to reach out to the group given the lack of time constraints. Not everyone can make phone calls and be on boards.
Best,
Trevor