[Travelandtourism] Cruising

Trevor Attenberg tattenberg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 06:18:13 UTC 2014

Hey gang,

I know a lot of you like cruises, so don't be offended by this silly and
intelligent article I pasted a link to below.

I once went on a cruise my grandparents invited my family on when I was
sixteen. It was from NYC to Bermuda, and of course back. I for the most part
did not enjoy it. As this was before I got any substantial mobility
training, it was felt I wouldn't be able to participate in much of the
youth-centered activities, and I shouldn't be let alone to explore. In
addition, everything was pretty much too damn expensive. As in this article,
drinking age was no different from the U.S., and thus I was to remain clean.
Actually, I think I was technically too young for the hot tub. My Mom and I
roomed together, as well as did most activities together; and we were pretty
much at are worst relationship-wise as a result. Most people, including my
mother, but not including myself got sea sick, not to mention sunburned.

While not as big a ship as the one described in the article to be sure, my
boat was bigger than any I previously boarded by a long shot. It was called
the Zenith. There was a pool, a theater, and of course plenty of places one
could drink and dump money.

                There were good moments: the food was actually generally not
bad, though this was one of the first sites I would gather evidence of my
intense scallop allergies. The entertainment director was a funny and
straight up showman, and sometimes there were entertaining shows in the
theaters. I remember one night the guy recited a long list of dumb questions
he had been asked by passengers including: do these stares go up or down,
and why don't you put fresh water in the pool so it will be less wavy? The
Bermuda beaches, while often a boar for my bookless and over-supervised
teenaged self, were actually quite beautiful, with warm, cerulean, extra
salty water, and large sparsely fern -covered dark volcanic mounds spewing
into the water from off the sides of the vast plain of white sand. Big waves
too. I think as a wiser and more independent adult, I would relish such a
landscape much more.

One somber note was the fact on our way in and out of New York City, I was
able to see, and managed to collect beautiful photographs of the Twin Towers
of the World Trade Center, glistening in a cloudless sky-today of course no
more.

Now do read this;
http://www.salon.com/2012/12/09/i_went_on_a_freaking_cruise/?utm_source=face
book&utm_medium=socialflow