[Travelandtourism] Mr. Kris Scheppe, a blind sailor - Friday, October 3 at 8 PM Eastern

Cheryl Echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 26 12:05:30 UTC 2014

Good morning all members of the Travel & Tourism Division.

Many people ask me, why travel when we can't see anything, or enjoy anything
when we get there, so many myths out there about what blind people like and
what they can do. This has to do with travel. It is sailing, which is a
great sport, relaxation for many, and when you go away on vacation, sailing
is an activity that can be offered.

Read below.

On Friday October 3, at 8:00 PM Eastern, you will have the opportunity to
meet Mr. Kris Scheppe, a blind sailor. Join us in the Events Center, where
Kris will discuss his sports career as a competitive fleet racer. NFB Live
is honored to have him speak with us and to share his experiences.

Kris Scheppe, a thirty-five year old blind sailor who now lives in Florida,
participates in blind match and fleet racing competitions. He came in fourth
in 2012 and 2013. He has retinitis pigmentosa, a condition where a narrow
tunnel of central vision is available with no peripheral vision. However
whether while sailing, or when providing web development for a pool
construction company in Naples, Florida, Kris enjoys a wide variety of
activities. He also volunteers for Camp Abilities, a sports camp for
visually impaired children where he helps campers reach their goals and
learn to love sports. Kris has also been a champion power lifter which gives
another dimension to what he brings to his campers.

He loves to see the progress in those he works with, from having no
experience to racing in a regatta and wanting to take their skills home and
race again. Kris formerly has been a power lifter and a business owner but
now looks to a future of wind filled sails with the horizons of blindness
and sports being a perfect marriage.

We, the management of NFB Live, hope you will enjoy this presentation.

If you know of someone you believe has had an interesting life, or would
have an interesting product to tell us about, please feel free to let NFB
Live know. Please note, that any individual or organization you bring to us
are not asked for money or donations of any kind in order to present on our
site. We are honored and consider their donation of time for the
presentation a generous gift.

Cheryl Echevarria, President

National Federation of the Blind's Travel and Tourism Division

A proud division of the

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND - "Live the life you want"

www.nfbtravel.org

631-236-5138

cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com

between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

Cheryl Echevarria is also the owner of Echevarria Travel
www.echevarriatravel.com; 631-456-5394 or reservations at echevarriatravel.com
and  has partnered with Braille Smith. www.braillesmith.com for all her
braille needs.  Gail Smith is the Secretary of the NFB of Alabama