[Travelandtourism] New discussion on the NFB Travel and Tourism Talk list thought you might want to participate in - Topic 5 Suitcase Must-Haves

Cheryl Echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 12 14:46:19 UTC 2015

Good morning all:

Since this going out to multiple NFB members and NFB Talk lists. I thought
it would also generate you all to participate in the discussion. Please post
your thoughts and ideas to the NFB Travel & Tourism Division Talk list by
replying to travelandtourism at nfbnet.org <mailto:travelandtourism at nfbnet.org>

If you are not registered on the nfbnet.org, to sign up

All of our lists are free discussion lists and you do not need to be a
member of the NFB, but we would love you to be.

The topic is: 5 suitcase must-haves

Since the National Convention is coming up. It is time to start packing and
getting ready.

This is from my weekly e-zine, I have help writing these things.

Also I will post responses already from some of the people who have read it,
and giving more information.

Jump right in.

Here we go:

After years of talking to frequent travelers and having tons of travel
experience myself, I've discovered that there are certain items that people
should always take along, but that they rarely think to bring. These are
unconventional items that can get you out of a jam, that can keep you safe
and connected, and that can just generally make life easier.

Keep reading for five simple things that can make a world of difference on
your next trip. And if you have your own ideas to add to the list, please
respond here.

Five 'Life-Saving' Items to add to Your Regular Packing List

You're getting ready for your next trip. The suitcase is open on the bed,
and you're going down the list of everything you'll need to take with you.

Sandals? Check. Wind breaker? Check. Sunscreen? Check.

Duct tape?

Wait....what?

You read that correctly.  A small roll of duct tape takes up a tiny bit of
space, but can save you in tons of different ways. Patch a tear in your
shoes, jacket, or trusty bag. Baby proof a hotel room in ten seconds by
covering outlets and taping drawers shut. Hem your pants. Use as a bandage
in an emergency. The list goes on and on.

Here are four more things that should become part of your regular packing
list:

External USB battery charger. Nothing is more exasperating or panic-inducing
than finding yourself lost and needing to pull up that email with
directions, or that map to your hotel, or make a phone call - and having
your smartphone konk out on you. Save outlet space in airports, hotels,
train stations, and other oft-traveled places. Always have a way to charge
up your phone, tablet, or other USB powered electronic device, even if there
are no outlets available.

The humble safety pin can be an amazing asset. Aside from the usual
functions - holding your pants or shirt together, for example, when you lose
a button - they also can serve to bundle small items like jewelry or keys,
to keep everything organized and in one place. Discretely place a pin on the
inside hem of a slip or satin jacket lining to eliminate static cling. Use
them to attach easily-lost things like mittens to the zipper or hood of your
kids' jackets.

A few strips of chamois (or other absorbent fabric) in different sizes. You
can keep them all in a zip-lock bag (along with a couple of other bags for
temporarily storing used cloths until you can wash them) - but having
different sizes helps for different situations, and it's best to choose
fabrics that are also quick-drying. Small squares for cleaning glasses. A
washcloth for bigger spills or for freshening up at a rest stop. Use a
bandana-sized piece to tie back your hair or, when dampened, tie around your
head on a hot day to keep cool. A long, narrower strip can serve as an
emergency belt, hair tie, ace bandage, or even a way to tie a bag closed if
a zipper breaks. They even make fantastic travel towels, because they roll
up into a compact size, suck up the liquid, and dry completely in no time at
all.

Here are other ideas:

Presented by Margo Downey, Secretary, NFB Travel & Tourism and current Board
Member of NAGDU  - National Association of Guide Dog Users, proud divisions
of the National Federation of the Blind:

I do not, and I repeat, I do not go anywhere without a stain remover pen
(you can get them cheaply at local drugstores) or container for spills and
such and I do not! Go anywhere without those individually wrapped Wet Ones
towelettes.  They even come in fragrance-free ones.  You know, the
interesting thing about travel is that travel can be local or international
and like the Wet Ones, I always! Have at least 4 of them in my purse even
when traveling locally because hands get messy from some foods, spills on
clothing can happen, etc., etc., etc.  I'm pretty meticulous but sometimes I
think a travel bib would be in order.  (smile).

Thank you.

Cheryl Echevarria, President

National Federation of the Blind's Travel and Tourism Division

A proud division of the

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND - "Live the life you want"

www.nfbtravel.org <http://www.nfbtravel.org>

To join the talk list

cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com

between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

Cheryl Echevarria

Travel is our specialty and offering the best of meaningful travel for all
ages is our passion!

http://www.echevarriatravel.com

reservations at echevarriatravel.com

631-456-5394

Visit my website to get my FREE report, "Top 5 Good Reasons to Use a Travel
Professional"

I build my business on referrals. Please pass my details on to friends and

family members that deserve the best vacation that they can imagine

P.S. - Families of all sizes is my specialty. Whether you are just starting
out and looking for that romantic destination for your destination wedding
or honeymoon. Booking that planned family vacation to Walt Disney World or
that bucket list trip that Grandma  & Grandpa are planning for the family, I
would love to help you.

We have partnered with Braille Smith. www.braillesmith.com for all her
braille needs.  Gail Smith is the Secretary of the NFB of Alabama