[Travelandtourism] Today we celebrate the 130th Anniversary of the Statue of Liberty here in NY City

Cheryl Echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 17 19:51:30 UTC 2015

Lady Liberty is celebrating a big anniversary.

On June 17, 1885 -- 130 years ago -- the Statue of Liberty arrived in New
York harbor. A gift of friendship from France to commemorate the ideals
shared by French and American governments, the statue arrived in New York
harbor in more than 300 pieces, according to the National Parks Service.

New Yorkers take the lady for granted, meaning that we all live here, but
not everyone go to visit her or Ellis Island.

Recently, my husband, Nelson, and I took an afternoon tour of NY City, for
us it is an hour drive into the city or by Long Island  Railroad. I hadn't
been to the Lady myself since I was in elementary school, when all the
schools went to visit, but that was over 40 years ago and Ellis Island was
just a rundown site. Now it is almost all finished restored as a Museum, was
able to find the actual ticket they my family donated, when my
great-grandmother came over from Romania, and found other records for my
father's side that came from the Ukraine. In fact, my great grand uncle, was
in Czar Nicholas of Russia's army until he heard what he was doing to the
Jews, and went AWOL, and took my great grandfather, and cousins, and came to
the USA.

I am sure there are many stories like this, that you can find out about your
family.

It is accessible to all disabilities.

Question for you:

What is one place where you live in your  state, that is historical and you
would love to visit.

This is a great discussion. I am keeping for places here  in the US, there
are thousands of places outside our country, but let's see what you come us
with.

Cheryl Echevarria, President

National Federation of the Blind's Travel and Tourism Division

A proud division of the

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND - "Live the life you want"

www.nfbtravel.org <http://www.nfbtravel.org>

To join the talk list

cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com

between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

Cheryl Echevarria

Travel is our specialty and offering the best of meaningful travel for all
ages is our passion!

http://www.echevarriatravel.com

reservations at echevarriatravel.com

631-456-5394

Visit my website to get my FREE report, "Top 5 Good Reasons to Use a Travel
Professional"

I build my business on referrals. Please pass my details on to friends and

family members that deserve the best vacation that they can imagine

P.S. - Families of all sizes is my specialty. Whether you are just starting
out and looking for that romantic destination for your destination wedding
or honeymoon. Booking that planned family vacation to Walt Disney World or
that bucket list trip that Grandma  & Grandpa are planning for the family, I
would love to help you.

We have partnered with Braille Smith. www.braillesmith.com for all her
braille needs.  Gail Smith is the Secretary of the NFB of Alabama