[Travelandtourism] historical places in my state I would like to visit

Trevor Attenberg tattenberg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 03:15:14 UTC 2015

Good and interesting question.
There is a place in Oregon called Fort Rock cave where the oldest examples
of footwear known on Earth were found; though similar shoes -- closed-toed
sandals woven from sagebrush bark have been found elsewhere. I actually
don't know if one can visit the cave as a tourist; but many of the ancient
artifacts -- dating from 9 to 13 thousand years ago -- can be found on
display at the University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History
in Eugene. I'd love to visit some time. A couple of years ago some staff
from a state historic monument called Thompson's Mill, came to our NFB
affiliates convention to ask how they could make the exhibits more
accessible to blind people. I'm personally less interested in in stuff like
that, especially as there are other historic mills in the state; but I
suppose I should visit if I have a chance. It is in a pretty rural area of
central or eastern Oregon.
One place I have been to is the Louis and Clark National Historic Park near
Astoria and the mouth of the Columbia River. Here there is a cool museum and
reconstructed fort built by the Louis and Clark expedition. There are also
hikes through forest and wetland hear, which is also great -- some of it is
wheelchair accessible. There are birds to hear, and plants to touch and look
at, like horsetail and large hemlock trees. In the fort you can see and
touch examples of cloth items and furniture made for the comfort of the
travelers. Of course the L&C expedition spelled the beginning of the end for
most of the culture and populations of the Pacific Northwest natives.
I would definitely go back!
Best,
Trevor