[Travelandtourism] Member and non-member information Plus Traveling in Airports ETC

Trevor Attenberg tattenberg at gmail.com
Wed May 6 23:40:57 UTC 2015

An app sounds cool.
Everybody travels a little differently according to his or her own
abilities. Probably the best way to improve traveling is to get training,
and tack on some experience. The NFB training centers probably offer the
best in the way of mobility training; but many graduates of the O&M
instruction program associated with the Louisiana Center for the Blind now
teach in different parts of the country; but I couldn't tell you many
precise states. I am lucky enough to live in a city where I can usually find
things pretty easily on my own once I have an address; not all towns and
cities are quite like that unfortunately. That skill of mine came mostly
from the Louisiana Center I would say. I also like to get around airports
(even big ones) mainly on my own if I have the time. If the new gate is far
away, and time is limited (say 25 minutes to a half hour or 25 minutes
before boarding), then I will ask for a personal escort; which I've found
airlines will readily provide. Some airports are more complicated than
others regardless of size. It is usually very easy to get from one gate to
another in the same concourse, so long as you know which way the numbers go
up or down, and what side of the center path odd and even numbers are on.
This is something to ask someone when you want to know where to go. There's
also no problem with stopping to ask what gate you are at or nearest to when
you want to make sure you are going in the right direction. If you got a
cane, you can look for telltale signs of a gate: carpet, sign posts, chairs,
crowd barriers etc. I only have experience with cane travel; so I can't
speak to how a doggy would work in such situations. A good thing about going
alone is it gives you a chance to explore: food options, shopping, etc. But
be aware of the time and don't be afraid to ask clear and concise questions.
Keep in mind also that most people in airports use escalators or stares; and
thus these options are often more readily available than elevators. I've had
people direct me down long walks through airports so I could use an
elevator; their thinking being I would not be able to use an escalator. I've
heard that some dogs don't like escalators; but still this is good to have
in mind.
Regarding the Grand Canyon; I would say it is much more beautiful than an
airport; but often there are similar crowds near the South Rim. The trails
down the canyon (at least from the South) are actually fairly easy to
navigate as they are well defined, and there are only three of them. You
will want to be pretty careful of your surroundings though if you don't want
to pull a Humpty dumpty.:)
Best,
Trevor