[Travelandtourism] We need to hear from you about whether you are going to be participating in the Travel & Tourism Division or are we dissolving the division

Cheryl Echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 2 11:51:41 UTC 2016

Good morning Edward.

The National Federation of the Blind welcomes everyone. No offense here, we really do not have members at least to my knowledge of members from outside the united states. We have many international people who attend the National Convention that are part of the World Blind Union, since their country has similar organization like the NFB.

I mean yes you can be involved.

When people join the divisions here with the NFB, they pay dues, they know there are monthly meetings whether they are state and chapter affiliate meetings, etc.

They do know what is expected of someone paying dues, etc.

I respect what you are saying. There are issues we all are working on that are very important to those that want to make traveling accessible for everyone.

I am a travel professional, who owns her own travel agency as well, which is not a requirement of this division.

But when our members vote on things at National meeting they do not come through with involvement on things.

Case in point, we try to do a fundraiser for the division by taking a trip somewhere. Our one and only successful trip was to the national parks of Utah and that area, we have 27 people go. Blind people and sighted people. For us to keep the division going to and to help get members to important meetings where airlines have meetings or maybe to a meeting with others that are working on buses like Greyhound, or find a way to get our members to National Convention who could not in their own power get there.

We worked hard in 2015 to arrange a trip to the state of NY or GA, we invited everyone to participate in the planning of with the committee we had. Brought it to National Meeting, it was voted on NY, but no one actively reached out to friends and family to help get those going on the trip.

Fell through. This has been done every year since 2014 and it flies out the window.

There are issues we have been working on  all year, and no one comes to meetings at all.

We have other divisions like the students and guide dog division, parents of blind children and over 50+ other division and committees that people have once a month.

I see it and experience it.

Again, no disrespect on this.

This is my last term as President, and I am also leaving the NFB. The other issue is, we get no support from others in higher authority, who you would think that would, one of the reasons I love the philosophy of the NFB. Live the Life You Want. I get it. Without the NFB I may not have gone through the issues being blind after becoming blind at the age of 35  in 2001.

I wouldn't have my business or confidence without the NFB. At the same token, it is not the same organization it was back when I joined. So going to be putting my efforts into still advocating for the blind in any way I can, but with the knowledge and people I know around the world in the travel industry, and other people with disabilities, at least I am being heard.

I hope you enjoy the division for as long as it is here. It was started in 2001 way before I was part of the NFB in 2006.

Take care and enjoy!

Cheryl Echevarria, President
National Federation of the Blind – Travel & Tourism Division
Vice President
631-236-5138
cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
“Live the Life You Want”

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

Cheryl Echevarria was awarded by Governor Cuomo in 2012, New York State Disabled Entrepreneur or the year, and is the owner of Echevarria Travel