[Travelandtourism] NFB Travel and Tourism Division

tattenberg at gmail.com tattenberg at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 03:01:09 UTC 2018

I think it is good to have this list. It might be fun to have another T&T
division, so long as the focus was independent travel and empowering blind
travelers.
I found there were several problematic issues with the former division. It
struck me as having become a platform for personal business promotion, and
to some extent a means for aspiring travel agents to find one another.
It seems to me most blind folks that are interested in learning about how to
improve their travel experience and capacity are unlikely to be interested
in the travel business trade. Thus the trade niche should be on another
platform. It is also pretty important to limit self-promotion within general
interest groups of this kind.
When I attended meetings at convention, I talked to several folks who were
disappointed after paying their dues only to find that they were sitting in
on a business meeting and discussions of travel agency work. Don't get me
wrong, I don't have a problem with the travel agency trade per se, and
networking is always important; but there is so much to cover as far as
traveling as a blind person is concerned.
Best,
Trevor