[Travelandtourism] Large Passengers, Traveling With Guide Dogs, Flying Privately

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Sun Apr 28 20:01:20 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

	We've used a number of airlines and have traveled with guide dogs. I have always been able to position my guide dogs under the seat in front of me or sit in the bulkhead with them. There's nothing wrong with sitting in a bulkhead seat provided it's your choice and not that of the airline. Over the years there have been a number of insidents where guide dog users were told they had to sit in bulkhead seats with their dogs. Some who refused to do so were arested and in a few cases abused by airline personnel or by the police. The NFB fought long and hard to stop the harassment of abuse of blind passengers by airlines a battle that has largely been won.

	I'm not sure what the situation is with Australian carriers concerning the carriage of large passengers but here airlines can require large passengers or as Southwest calls them "Customers of Size" to buy an extra seat if they're unable to sit in a single seat with both arms down. I personally encountered this garbage when I flew to the 2009 national convention on Southwest. If you have a large dog and are a large person you may want to consider buying an extra seat to insure you have ample space for your dog and for yourself to avoid airline madness over size.

	We were glad to learn that Congress recently passed legislation aimed at setting rules for airlines to follow concerning such things as bathroom size or seat width. Most airlines have 17-inch seats in coach. I believe the new rules will require seats on all airplanes to be 19 inches in the future putting an end to problems fased by large passengers when they fly.

	Another situation where we may elect to buy an extra seat is if Mary and I travel together insuring that we both along with a guide dog have ample room. Again if the choice is ours no problem. If you buy an extra seat for yourself on Southwest the amount for the extra seat will be refunded after travel is completed.

	Since Southwest doesn't serve some of the cities we visit we often use Delta. Delta does not have a customer of size policy like Southwest and other airlines. They're very good about insuring all of their passengers have ample room and will insure that there is plenty of room available at the passenger's seat to accommodate a guide dog.

	As I understand from other Australians who have flown here with their guide dogs Australian airlines routinely place a mat at the seat of the blind passenger for the dog to lie on during the flight. This is not a requirement of U.S. carriers but if your dog is used to lying on such a mat by all means use it.

	Much to its credit Australia was one of the first countries to adopt regulations to allow those who travel with guide and other service dogs to take them out of Australia and bring them back without the dog's having to undergo quarantine. New Zealand, Singapore, Japan, the UK, and Hawaii have since adopted similar laws and procedures making travel to and from such territories with guide and service animals possible.

	I don't know what your financial situation is like but don't rule out flying privately. We have lots of public and private air charter services here in the states. A recent innovation in this respect is the creation of airline memberships that allow one to travel for as much as possible for a monthly fee around $2000.00. This is just a little more than the cost of a first class seat on many of our commercial carriers. Surf Air is one such carrier. Perhaps as more subscription air charter services are established the monthly rate will decrease.

	Another type of public air charter is through a company called JetSuiteX. This carrier offers seasonal service between various destinations in the western united state. Their hub is in California but they also offer flights to Nevada, Utah, Washington State, Montana, and other west coast destinations. The service these carriers provide is a cut above that of commercial carriers and you shouldn't need to worry about accommodations for your dog or yourself. I've seen some JetSuiteX one-way fares for about the same price as a coach seat on a commercial carrier. Depending on where you're going don't rule out private and semiprivate air charter service. Happy travels.

Peter Donahue