[Travelandtourism] best experiences when traveling with a Guide Dog in US airlines

Peter Wolf pwolf1 at wolfskills.com
Sun Apr 28 23:25:49 UTC 2019

Santi,

We have had good experiences with these airlines:  American, Virgin, Delta and Horizon (which is Alaska).  Virgin America (domestic) is now owned by Alaska.  Virgin Atlantic is still in operation as itself, as before, as we understand, and they are an awesome airline.  We have had a less than satisfactory experience flying United, and people we know have shared that they also use other airlines.

I notice that you have used the term, “guaranteed.”  In the U.S., flying with a real service or guide dog is guaranteed by law.

 I ground assistance is available, but I do not know if it is guaranteed.   We (have) found, that in most cases that I did ask for assistance,  it may entail a long wait for someone to show up to accompany the passenger…and the person may or may not be very good at understanding English.  We have lost as much as 20 minutes waiting before.  Often, it is necessary to be politely directive and assertive, from the moment of asking at the counter for assistance.  Perhaps we ask at the time of buying the ticket, but that does not guarantee that someone will actually be there to meet us at the counter.  Here is where using O&M skills helps…to go alone instead, and stop people to ask directions along the way for orientation.  I prefer this method, because it can take time to wait for someone to help, which wastes time getting through security.  I once had the counter be adamant that when the assistant arrived, we would be whisked right through.  I almost missed a flight after waiting a long time, during which I could simply have walked through security myself and gone to the gate.  That was the last time I asked for help.  If you really do want help, just make sure get to the airport a little earlier to offset this possibility.

 At security, I have found that if when right at the start of the line, I ask for asssistance from TSA security, they will shunt me to either a “disability” line, which is up there where you get checked and on your way…or they sometimes will simply take me forward and get stuff going there in the same way at the checkpoint, and call it the precheck line or something else.  If you do need help, I go back to the the first advice - - which is - - whatever it is that you need to do, be politely interactive, and assertive.  It makes a world of difference.  I do not mind going through a line like everyone else.   But if I ask for assistance, at the start of the security line, this is usually how it goes.

As for guaranteed extra space, would a colleague out there please chime in here?  It seems that once again, there is a little gray area here.  We understand it that (if) we notify the airline about guide or service dog in advance (in the time window that they ask for, like 48 hours or one or two weeks, depending on the airline), that we can request a bulkhead seat.  This has more legroom , slash, dog room.  But it is not guaranteed.  People now pay a little extra money to occupy this space, and we can get to the gate to find out that we got bumped, back into a regular row.  Here we go again, the refrain of my song today, the tune goes like this:  Be politely interactive, directive, and assertive.  We believe that an airline is required to seat passengers with a disability in a bulkhead seat.  That is, unless they quote can’t unquote.  But it happens regularly, that we will have to cause a little bit of discomfort, in that we are now asking the flight crew to eject someone, who paid a premium, and expects, to sit, in a roomier bulkhead seat.  When we push, it gets handled.  They get the premium amount back from the airline.  Now, sometimes, it does happen that we can’t make it so.  There is sometimes a normal type row right behind that, but, this single row has a little bit more leg room than the regular coach rows behind it.  It too, may be a premium fee seat, and the same deal applies.  A regular passenger's payment as we understand it, is not a sufficient reason for “can’t” seat us in the bulkhead.  Citing it this way has resulted in a move, and getting us seated in the bulkhead.  Does anyone have different information for this?

I once read a great book called, “It’s not my department.”  It was about the demise over time of customer service.  The point of the book has been a central tool in my toolbox for years.  When something isn’t going perfectly, Number one is , we have to get to a person who has authority to make a decision about the situation.  Number two is, we have to tell them what is needed.  And number three is, we have to tell them, in a way that doesn’t tweak them or make them feel small, how to get it accomplished.  Clear, factual and nicely, all in a way, that is respectful to everyone.  It all comes down to being clearly assertive in a good way, because even with guarantees, nothing is guaranteed.

For example, you may be on an ordinarily fantastic airline.  But one, day, someone in the flight crew may be stressed, low on sleep, or have a bad attitude.  Sometimes, they may have had one too many dishonest passengers, passing their pet for service dog on their flight recently.  We have encountered this, on what is usually a great airline.  We fly regularly, and in a year’s time, it has happened twice that a flight attendant has gotten in my wife’s face, grilling her.  And this, while Kira was silently curled up and behaving perfectly.  OK, sing it everyone!  The answer is, be polite yet assertive.  Being able to rationally and clearly quote the rules can stop that.   Print (or your method) a copy of ADA section  36.302, part (E), and part (1).   And also print the FAA / DOT 14 CFR Part 382, which governs airlines.

Hey, will the lawyers or advocates amongst us, please chime in here, to make sure that what I just cited are the most current things to reference.  There have been new developments in policies, and laws do get updated.  Thanks.  I could use verification and any updating myself!

As importantly, each airline has its own policy on guide, service and emotional support animals, and seating.  It can differ between airlines.  Knowing in advance what your airline’s policy is about seating, is like gold.  Then (sing with me!), having our own crystal clarity on airline policy - which we can quote in the moment - about it can short circuit or eliminate any potential or in-the-moment difficulties in seating.   This may take some work in advance, but I strongly suggest getting the seating policies clear, exactly as it exists in the flight attendants’ handbook.

This seems like a lot.  But just take half an hour to go through these steps at home to get your information clear, and it may make for an easy and pleasant time forever more.  Then, happy flying!

Peter