[Txabs] The January 2013 Edition of Keeping TABS

Texas Association of Blind Students tabs at nfbtx.org
Mon Feb 11 00:11:45 UTC 2013

Howdi y'all,
Attached as well as pasted below, please find the January 2013 edition
of the TABS Newsletter, Keeping TABS! Each month, TABS will be
highlighting a student, event, or activity within our membership. Stay
tuned at the end of each month to see what TABS will be covering next!
If you have any article ideas, feel free to Email us here at:
tabs at nfbtx.org or Monica Villarreal, Keeping TABS Editer at:
mmviga at gmail.com
Enjoy!!!

...Gabe

---
Keeping TABS
A Publication of the Texas Association of Blind Students

Gabriel Cazares, President
Maria Monica Villarreal, Editor

Websites:
www.nfbtx.org/tabs
www.twitter.com/txtabsters
www.facebook.com/tabs.members

Taking 2013 by Storm
By Gabe Cazares

Howdi TABSters, let me be the first to welcome you to the revamp
version of our student division newsletter, Keeping TABS! We are
bringing back our world class newsletter to do a better job of keeping
you, our members up to date with the latest and greatest happenings in
our student division. This month, I want to take a few minutes to talk
about some of the awesome projects that are currently under way, and
that you should totally know about.
	The first among this list is our redesigned TABS Board of Directors
page. If you haven’t gotten a chance to take a look, I would like to
encourage you to drop everything right this instant and head over to
our home page: http://www.nfbtx.org/tabs and check it out! Our
Webmaster, Thomas Stivers, has done a fantastic job of making our
board of directors page a stellar one. In addition to making it look
spiffy, our Webmaster has added our Email addresses and our Twitter
accounts to all our board bios, so now it is even easier to get a hold
of any one of us. But don’t let me tell you all about it, go ahead and
check it out yourselves!
The second exciting development in TABS is the re-launching of this
newsletter. Keeping TABS has been a work in progress for many years,
but this go around we think we may have finally gotten it right. Our
rock star treasurer, Monica Villarreal, is the head editor of our
newsletter. And as opposed to printing a compilation of articles every
three months, we have decided to highlight an interesting topic every
month. So keep your eyes peeled at the end of every month to see what
Keeping TABS will be covering next. Also, if you have a brilliant idea
or a cool event that you have been a part of that you’d like to write
about, please feel free to contact Monica so you can be featured in
our newsletter.
	Our third, and probably the most exciting event that we are currently
working on is our annual TABS and TPOBC joint parent and student
seminar. This year the eclectic city of Austin Texas will be our host.
We are slated to have this event the weekend of Friday April 5 through
Sunday April 7, 2013 at the Holiday Inn Midtown. For those of us that
were at the 2011 State Convention of the NFB of Texas this hotel is no
stranger. This year the room rates are $85.00 per night plus a 15%
state and local tax, and reservations can be made now! Listen up
students between the ages of 14 to 24, NFB of Texas Youth Programs may
be able to give you some financial assistance to our student seminar
this year. If you want more information about this assistance, and to
find out how to apply for it contact Nicole Gurgel, Assistant Youth
Services Coordinator at our main office. That telephone number is
512-323-5444, or if you’d like to send her an Email her Email address
is ngurgel at nfbtx.org. You won’t want to miss this exciting weekend of
fun, information, and encouragement.
	Finally, TABS thanks to the fantastic work of our board member Corina
Salinas, is selling some very nifty wristbands. The wristbands feature
different phrases in print and Braille, the TABS logo on the side, and
are of different colors. Here is a brief description of them all:
White wristband with red letters. Sight is overrated
Green wristband with black letters, skulls are visible in the ink of
the black lettering. Braille is beast
Black wristband with big white droopy letters. Tap that
You can purchase two for five dollars, or one for three dollars. You
can order yours by emailing any one of us on the TABS board, and we’ll
be more than happy to ship some out to you.
	As you can see, your board is working hard to insure we can better
serve you. But always remember, this is as much your student division
as it is ours. We need your creativity, your passion, your ideas, and
your willingness to work to make this student division the best in the
country. I hope it will be your article that is featured on our next
addition of Keeping TABS. I also hope that I will get to see all of
you at our upcoming student seminar in April. Remember, if we can ever
be of any assistance, please feel free to reach out to any of us. This
is all for now from Team TABS, but stay tuned to our mailing list, our
website, our Facebook, our Twitter, or our Youtube Channel.
“We are changing what it means to be blind!”

--
Gabriel M. Cazares, President
Texas Association of Blind Students
Email: gcazares at nfbtx.org
www.nfbtx.org/tabs
www.twitter.com/txtabsters
www.facebook.com/tabs.members
Visit our homepage for more information on the 2013 Parent and Student
Joint Seminar!