[Txabs] DBS closing my case

Melody McCotter melodymccotter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 23:45:56 UTC 2014

Dear fellow TABSters,

I just learned that the Texas Departments of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services, Division of Blind Services is closing my case based on the fact that I am employed part-time as a Teaching Assistant. I am working on a PhD with the vocational goal of becoming a Professor in Information Science. I am curious if anyone else out there seeking a degree beyond a bachelor's is running into any road blocks from the agency. Though I don't need much help with books or assistive technology at this point, I am uncomfortable with their notion that I'm now gainfully employed and no longer need VR services. My job is only a part-time student job - they would not employ me if I weren't also attending school. It helps pay the bills, but does not support me entirely. I am a bit concerned that I might end up needing some services they could provide to finish my degree and won't have them available.

My counselor told me her supervisor is adopting a policy to support students only through a bachelor's degree. I feel this kind of policy discourages us from seeking advanced degrees for better employment opportunities. Her additional justification that I am already employed, though it's a part-time, student job, in effect discourages us from working while in school. What are your thoughts or experiences along this line?

Melody McCotter