[Txabs] We invite you to join us at our 2015 NFBTX state convention!

Bre Brown bre.brown24 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 23:10:54 UTC 2015

Greetings to all students and parents of blind students,

The Texas Association of Blind Students (TABS) would like to invite
you to attend the National Federation of the Blind of Texas State
Convention.
 Where: Holiday Inn Austin Midtown, Austin, TX
 When: Friday, Nov. 13 to Sunday, Nov. 15, 2015
 Registration: http://www.nfbtx.org
 This is a great opportunity to meet other students, blind mentors,
and professionals. Limited funding is available for students to
attend. Please contact Norma Crosby for information ncrosby at nfbtx.org.
You may also be able to receive some funding from your DARS counselor.
Please see the below note from our NFB of Texas state president, Norma Crosby:
The annual convention of the National Federation of the Blind of Texas
is scheduled to take place during the weekend of November 13-15, 2015.
The headquarters for this year's convention is the Holiday Inn Austin
Midtown, located at 6000 Middle Fiskville Road, Austin, Texas. Room
rates for the convention are $85.00 a night, plus applicable tax. The
current tax rate is 15%. Reservations may be made by calling the hotel
at (512) 451-5757 or (888) 300-6273 FREE. When making reservations,
please let the hotel staff know you are with a group, and provide them
with the group name "NFB Conference." The cut-off date for
reservations is October 20, 2015. So, please make your reservations as
soon as possible. We have rooms blocked from November 12-15, so if you
are arriving in Austin, on Thursday, November 12 you will receive the
convention room rate for that evening as long as you make your
reservation prior to the cut-off date. Please remember that the hotel
cannot guarantee a room for you, at our convention rate, after October
20. The hotel will require you to hold the room with a credit card.
The Holiday Inn accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diner's
Club, Carte Blanche, and Discover. When you check in, the hotel will
require you to present a credit card or a $25.00 cash deposit in order
to cover incidental expenses you may incur. If you must cancel your
reservation for any reason, please do so at least 24 hours prior to
your scheduled date of arrival in order to avoid a cancellation fee
equal to the first night's room rate.
 You may pre-register for the convention until November 6, 2015. The
registration fee is $20.00 if you pay in advance and $25.00 if you
register onsite. Banquet tickets will cost $30.00 in advance and
$35.00 onsite.
 The theme of this year's convention is "Live the Life You Want at
Work." Raising expectations about employment for blind Texans is our
goal. We'll have speakers who can tell us how to navigate the
rehabilitation process as we work through changes in our service
delivery model. We'll hear from successful blind people who juggle
work, school, and home life. We'll talk about the latest technologies
designed to help the blind compete on terms of equality, and much
more. Our 64th annual convention will have something for everyone who
is blind or visually impaired, or who has a family member or consumer
who is. We welcome participation from Students, parents, professionals
who work with blind children and adults, and others who have an
interest in helping blind people live the lives they want.

Bre Brown
Secretary, Texas Association of Blind Students